Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Cool History Stuff

Interesting indeed. It was a time heralding great changes in the world.
Stalin eventually got to Trotsky in Mexico, 1940. He must've really disliked him to hold a grudge for that long.

I thought there was something up with the map at first but then I checked the date. Haha
It's interesting to think that the chilli pepper didn't reach India until December 1500. It really took the place by storm. Can you imagine East Asian cuisine without it?
Read in a book on the history of food, that chili peppers were probably the one food plant that spread around the world the fastest ... so quick in fact, that people thought there were local varieties in places like East Africa -- but modern DNA testing proved it all originated from Central America.

Read in a book on the history of food, that chili peppers were probably the one food plant that spread around the world the fastest ... so quick in fact, that people thought there were local varieties in places like East Africa -- but modern DNA testing proved it all originated from Central America.
Cool. I think it's pretty much decided even what ship it was first brought on and even the date it arrived. Some Portuguese traders, if I'm right.
Yeah, it took Asia by storm.
The tomato was a huge success too.

Cool. I think it's pretty much decided even what ship it was first brought on and even the date it arrived. Some Portuguese traders, if I'm right.
Yeah, it took Asia by storm.
The tomato was a huge success too.
There was an idea that West African chilis and what is called peri peri in East Africa were local -- but turns out, nope -- all from Americas.

I found an old bridge while out on a walk near my village. It's in the Barranco del Cotobro, between Almuñecar and La Herradura.
thought to date from the 1st to 3rd centiry AD, it is near the remains of the old Roman settlement of Firmium Julium Sexi, now reduced to a few ruins in Almuñecar.
IMG_20231026_144015.jpgIMG_20231026_143938.jpgIMG_20231026_143855.jpg
It's pretty cool to stand there for a while thinking how much traffic has passed by here over the centuries.

Yeah, I knew it was around but I hadn't properly looked for it so it was a pleasant surprise to just see it the other day on an old track off the highway. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it, having read about it. There are some old watchtowers around here, most date from the 16th century, when this coast was raided by pirates and Berber slavers pretty much constantly. I'll take a few pictures and post something about them soon. Something so old is pretty special though.

This iconic photograph is still considered one of the most-terrifying space photographs to date. Astronaut Bruce McCandless II became the first human being to do a spacewalk without a safety tether linked to a spacecraft. In 1984, he floated completely untethered in space with nothing but his Manned Maneuvering Unit keeping him alive.

1698915259184.png

This iconic photograph is still considered one of the most-terrifying space photographs to date. Astronaut Bruce McCandless II became the first human being to do a spacewalk without a safety tether linked to a spacecraft. In 1984, he floated completely untethered in space with nothing but his Manned Maneuvering Unit keeping him alive.

View attachment 30280
That's incredibly brave but I guess for being an astronaut that's a requirement.

Fantastic pic Rico.

I found this on his wikipedia page

vJhRbMe.png

TYb8zNz.png

Back