Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be useful to know how many people in the UK would be hospitalised or die in that time during the normal run of things, but then I guess it wouldn't have quite the same punch if they gave comparative figures now would it. I despise the mass media for exactly this reason.

As for PTSD, I realise this is the snowflake generation but if people are truly losing sleep over fearmongering news reports Dr.Stafford prescribes two tablespoons of Quikset so they can harden the f**k up.

Looks like I missed some fun here over the weekend.

Australia has banned gatherings of 500 people or more like some other countries. There was some criticsm that Govt announced it on Friday but it only kicked in on Monday. I think the decision makers were thinking about timing and logistics, given they knew the severity of their announcement and that it would take time to set up. It wasn't communicated well on Friday however, and made it look like the decision was only made so the Prime Minister could attend a rugby game and his church one last time. Most major social events are in the process of shutting down though.

If you know anyone heading to Australia there's compulsory self isolation for two weeks for all international arrivals. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if locking out international flights altogether later this week with some form of lockdown to follow. Rumour mill is in overdrive but some of the journos are saying Govt considering to go early with a lockdown of some description to avoid a situation that developed in Italy where the shutdown had to occur after the medical system collapsed.
Stats based explanation of the benefits of going early: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Meanwhile my home it looks like a 'preppers bunker'.

US and UK's treatment of the situation... that's just scary.

It would be useful to know how many people in the UK would be hospitalised or die in that time during the normal run of things, but then I guess it wouldn't have quite the same punch if they gave comparative figures now would it. I despise the mass media for exactly this reason.

As for PTSD, I realise this is the snowflake generation but if people are truly losing sleep over fearmongering news reports Dr.Stafford prescribes two tablespoons of Quikset so they can harden the f**k up.

My guess is that the figures (and we have similar worst case scenarios here in the US) include deaths caused by COVID-19 overburdening the health care system. So a lot of the deaths would be people who couldn't be treated adequately for non COVID-19 issues due to the lack of beds, ventilators, Urgent care, etc. Just a guess though. If I were truly trying to come up with "Worst Case," I would include them.

And finally today the government decided to close the schools until March 31. Also they close the borders for the first time in history. They detected 11 new cases and 56 are already infected in the country. Deaths did not increase: only two.

My point is knowing how many normal deaths/hospitalisations would occur in the period Bootie was referring to (6 months or so?) if corona virus didn't exist. Just for comparisons sake.

As an example, I've heard people panicking with statements like "it's killed 3000 people already!", while apparently being ignorant of the fact that 150,000 people die on earth *every day*.

Perspective is important is basically the gist of what I'm saying.

The Guardian has released a document "purported" to be from Public Health England stating worst case scenario for the UK is that this lasts until Spring of 2021, 7.9 million hospitalized and a death count of approx half a million.

Shit like this isnt helpful.. it just increases public anxiety... (and mine).

Once we come out the other side are we gonna have a generation of kids with PTSD!

All Im trying to do is keep things as normal for my wee girl as I can.
The Guardian is trash. I stopped reading it long ago.

The Guardian is trash. I stopped reading it long ago.
I think @Bootie is referring to this article....
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...il-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

Yeah it's certainly on the face of it alarmist but as a fellow public servant I can understand why a paper like this exists. Govt stats nerds in basements are starting to get enough data from around the globe to model what different degrees of outbreak would look like over time in their respective countries. If the UK Health Dept equivilent is doing their jobs they would be providing different scenarios (including plans of attack) to Cabinet. This paper would be just one of them - I'm guessing the 'do nothing/minimal amount' option. These types of scenario papers are written for in house Govt only and should never see the light of day to avoid panic.

I'm guessing what happened here was: 1) the paper went to the UK Cabinet and possibly some of the writers/experts briefed them on the contents directly; 2) the decision was made and Boris gave his speech talking about herd immunity and letting the virus come and take it's course; 3) some seriously angry health experts decided to leak it in the public interest given the Govt response which was widely deemed woefully inadequate.

Keep in mind some of these papers and action plans are written to be rejected and highlight worst case scenarios to avoid.

Govt here in South Africa has also announced travel bans from most affected countries and limiting ports of entry from other countries and screening and isolation for arrivals.
Friend of mine is possibly stuck in Germany for now while on business trip for his university.
Schools closing and most universities/colleges for at least 30 days and gatherings of more than 100 people prohibited ... most public and sports and large religious events cancelled.

We have 61 confirmed cases and first local transmission (not from person traveling into country).

Wife and I work from home, so ok there... but economic disruption going to be hectic.

stay safe everyone.

This guy - Dr. John Campbell - gives objective daily updates on Youtube. His channel well predates coronavirus so he's not an instant expert.
Dr. John Campbell

Re: the great toilet paper scramble. When we're all dead of the virus and the aliens arrive and inspect the corpse-strewn streets they're going to wonder why we all had such incredibly clean bottoms.

Here in Denmark, there's no panic. But we are taking precautions to make sure senior citizens can get the help they need, if they get infected and need ventilation for a while. Part of that is to make sure they don't all catch the disease at the same time. So we're all doing our bit to help slow the spread of the disease.

People already started to voluntarily cancel social events etc. before the government asked us to do it. Schools are closed, and most people who can work from home.

Those working in the public sector often can't work from home, but I saw several post on social media that they offered to help out others for free.

All in all, I don't think people are getting traumatised by this. Quite the contrary actually. There's nothing like a crisis to make people wake up from their modern entertainment slumber and realise that the world is not just something they see in movies.

Last edited:
Almost got caught with our pants down on Saturday night. We were in a half closed down campground in a cabin with just a bed and a chair. When I found out about the lock down we changed to a cabin with a fridge and stove in the same campground. The news says that lots of people fled from Madrid to the coast. The handyman said said they were "saturated" but it didnt look that busy to me. We then double booked ourselves into an even better place (with Wifi) in a nearby village.

Managed to ride through to better accommodation yesterday. There were a few dodgy people around but no problems. On bicycles, it felt like "running the gauntlet" with a sinking feeling in the guts. Adrenalin levels were high.

Today, all is good in the village we are in. We have fresh food, meat arrives tomorrow but alcohol is limited. The shop owners and our hosts are great. Got a six pack of dunny paper. I just stocked up on water as best as we can, just in case.

BTW, I have heard that a lot the campers in Spain (most likely they mean RV tourer's) have all fled into southern France. Probably a lot of Brits among them trying to get home.

Yesterday the Governor of Ohio CLOSED all bars and restaurants in the state. You may still order take out but no seated eating.
@sspoom what are you thinking about this?

COLUMBUS (WTVG) - During a press conference on Sunday, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine ordered all bars and restaurants in the state of Ohio to close beginning at 9 p.m. Sunday. Carryout orders will be an exception to that order.

The governor said he was making this decision in an effort to curb the outbreak in the state and maintain a low level of infection. He also referenced the upcoming St. Patrick's Day holiday as a reason to limit the number of people congregating in these locations.

Recognizing that the large number of closings and restrictions would likely affect the city's working-class residents and small business owners, the governor, along with Lt. Gov. Husted announced a number of programs and expansions aimed at limiting those negative effects.

Lt. Gov. Jon Husted announced an expansion of the state's unemployment benefits to assist those who will be affected by restrictions and quarantine due to the outbreak.

To assist #Ohio workers directly impacted by the #COVID19 health emergency, I will issue an executive order that makes several changes to Ohio’s unemployment law and state agency policy. #COVID19OhioReady

— Governor Mike DeWine (@GovMikeDeWine) March 15, 2020

Last edited:
My point is knowing how many normal deaths/hospitalisations would occur in the period Bootie was referring to (6 months or so?) if corona virus didn't exist. Just for comparisons sake.

As an example, I've heard people panicking with statements like "it's killed 3000 people already!", while apparently being ignorant of the fact that 150,000 people die on earth *every day*.

Perspective is important is basically the gist of what I'm saying.

I understand what your saying, but I think the point is about preventable deaths. Like x amount of people die every year on average from say car accidents or cancer. But to have a sudden jump of deaths to a virus which doesn't happen with any other cause of death which in turn suddenly overwhelms a health system has knock on effects. So I think most governments are trying to control the rate of infection so their health system can cope.

On a personal level I look after my 81 year old mother and I drive a taxi so I could bring the virus home, so taking precautions is wise as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back