Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Creating Hostomel Airport Scenario in CMBS- Looking for collaborators

F

Ferenc Farkas

Hi - I am putting the finishing touches on a 2km x 1km map of the area around Hostomel airport in Ukraine to recreate the battle there in CMBS starting Feb 24th. It would be great if someone could help with OOB and AI with which I have no experience. Anyone interested? Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Hostomel map CMBS screen shot.png
    Hostomel map CMBS screen shot.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
I would be interested in doing oob if I could find anything VDV related. I was actually just looking a few minutes ago for this specific reason. Though I was going to play with other airports.

If I dig anything oob up I'll let you know and work on it.
Thanks for the map, I knew it had to be done sooner or later.

Thank you for your reply.
Here is a piece of the puzzle for OOB: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_battle_for_the_2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine . Not sure which one of these units apply for Hostomel.
I also just read from a European source that the 64th Motorized Rifle Brigade of the RF Army was in the region. These are Manchurian troops from the Russian army recently based on the Amur river on the border with China. Commanding officer is a Lt Col Azatbek Omurbekov. Maybe that helps.

Regarding the attached map. Anyone have an idea how to better represent giant aircraft hangars, rather than using multiple "modular building" components?

Attachments

• Hostomel map CMBS screen shot.png
    Hostomel map CMBS screen shot.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
As far as units are concerned - the air assault was conducted by the elements of 11th Guards Air Assault Brigade and 31st Guards Air Assault Brigade.

Given the nature of the task, I would wager a guess that the elements in question were from recce companies of those brigades, either hand picked or volunteers or both.

Google Earth shows this overhead picture from before the fighting.

Attachments

• Hostomel airport hangar.png
    Hostomel airport hangar.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
11th Guards Air Assault Brigade
Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_Guards_Air_Assault_Brigade) mentions this as the composition of the brigade:
The Russian air assault brigade currently consists of:[10]

• Brigade Headquarters
  • Airborne Battalion
  • 1st Air Assault Battalion
  • 2nd Air Assault Battalion
  • Howitzer Artillery Battalion (122mm D-30)
  • Anti-Aircraft Missile-Artillery Battery
  • Anti-Tank Missile Battery
  • Reconnaissance Battalion
  • Special Purpose Company
  • Rifle Company (Snipers)
  • Control Company
  • Engineering Company
  • Landing Support Company
  • NBC Defense Platoon
  • Maintenance Company
  • Material Support Company
  • Medical Company
  • Commandant's Platoon
  • Tank Company
Was the whole brigade involved?

I thought it was just a couple air assault companies that landed originally, maybe the rest of the brigade was the 2nd wave.
I wonder what the "tank" company consists of. Sprut-SD?

(repost after putting this update in another, not related thread...)Quick update on the scenario development: an early test which featured a substantial Russian mechanized force attempting to take the Hostomel airport while driving towards Bucha, Irpin and Kyiv is easily stopped by a smaller Ukrainian force with fewer BTRs and tanks but more ATGM teams. The roads lined with forests to the north and east of the airport turn out to be lethal kill zones for armor. The dynamics oscillate between the wide open area of the airstrip and the wooded and urban areas obviously requiring a dual approach for the attacking force. I will revisit the scenario with different tactics for the attacker, namely, advance with infantry dismounted, establish good FO points, and make more extensive use of artillery on the offense.

I like to use BRM-3K in place of BMD-3 and BMP-3K (No particular reason why) for BMD-4. If that helps with your scenarip at all.

Sorry for the long absence. Here is the Hostomel airport map from the early invasion of Ukraine. I have been working on several other scenarios situated around Slovyansk and the Oskil river which recent events have validated as being of interest. I appreciate any improvement to the scenario in terms of OOB, objectives, AI,...

Sorry for the long absence. Here is the Hostomel airport map from the early invasion of Ukraine. I have been working on several other scenarios situated around Slovyansk and the Oskil river which recent events have validated as being of interest. I appreciate any improvement to the scenario in terms of OOB, objectives, AI,...
do u have a link to the maps or scenarios

Sorry. The unzipped file did not upload...

Attachments

• WIP_FF_Assault_on_Hostomel_Airport_March_2022.zip
    70.6 KB · Views: 14
Nice map, I'm surprised you didn't keep the hangars, I see now you had different building heights for it. I think the same height would be better, just hollowed out. Maybe 4 stories with the bottom 3 hollow, and the top shielded. I will edit and post pictures.

Back