Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hell let loose

Got it sitting in my Steam library but given distance and servers probably a connection nightmare on my end. @DoubleD , @Vartuoosi - Any interest in the ARMA crew crossing over for some 'easy' games with no mod messing around etc. Be good to get a squad together.
Sure, I'm fine fooling around with HLL but I sure am not willing to substitute it for Arma.

Sure, I'm fine fooling around with HLL but I sure am not willing to substitute it for Arma.
Messed around with it on the weekend and it's very fun when you get a broader 50 player team and commanders who know what they are doing. It's very ARMA-like given it's all about cover, positioning and spotting. Certainly not COD of Battlefield.

The big thing pushing me this way is that it 'just works' out of the box. Communications and everything all part of the same program. I'm fast approaching the same boat as Septic was the other year getting pissed off with ARMA not working more times than it does. Last night was another nail in the coffin. Then add on TeamSpeak etc and you've got a lot of ducks to line up every week. I want to spend Sunday nights having some laughs with you lot but would rather be in a game shooting stuff at the same time rather than messing around with load orders and praying it works.

Did some basic searches and cheats are still being sold for HLL.
One I saw sells for 135 Euro per month subscription, so that would limit the market somewhat.
But still. :mad:

For me this type of PvP holds limited interest, mostly because of the die, respawn, rinse and repeat. Add to that the cheating and I’m reluctant to invest money and time. I bought Squad, which was the must have Mil. game, a while ago and played it a handful of times before uninstalling and never going back.

Had a blast last night on a public server. Lucked into a good squad that seemed to have 2 veteran players and the rest new guys.

Played the support role the entire game. We were laying down fire and flanking the points. Building defenses and Garrisons and communicating well. One of the funnest rounds I've had.

Messed around with it on the weekend and it's very fun when you get a broader 50 player team and commanders who know what they are doing. It's very ARMA-like given it's all about cover, positioning and spotting. Certainly not COD of Battlefield.

The big thing pushing me this way is that it 'just works' out of the box. Communications and everything all part of the same program. I'm fast approaching the same boat as Septic was the other year getting pissed off with ARMA not working more times than it does. Last night was another nail in the coffin. Then add on TeamSpeak etc and you've got a lot of ducks to line up every week. I want to spend Sunday nights having some laughs with you lot but would rather be in a game shooting stuff at the same time rather than messing around with load orders and praying it works.
Same.

So do I get this game now, I got Post Scriptum thinking it was popular here and it wasn't.

Ironically, because ARMA3 co-op missions need to be specially set up for people to play, it actually lends itself to making a specific time and date for everyone to meet up for group play.
Since HLL/PS are always ready, I think it encourages a bit of laziness in regards to coordinating FGM players from different time zones. You can just jump on a server at any given moment.
Still, there's nothing stopping us from organizing an event. Or even a training session.

There's some intense rivalry between die-hard fans of HLL and PS. I've heard PS players vehemently extol the virtues of PS over HLL. :sneaky:
I've enjoyed both, although I haven't played either for a couple of years.

I plunged back into HLL last night. Did a bunch of battles. Here are some memorable moments...

Axis in Stalingrad

As an Axis assault trooper armed with an StG 44, I entered one of the new maps...Stalingrad. It was epic, with rail yards, rubble, crumbling buildings and shell holes everywhere. I was a late-comer to the match and all the groups with squad leaders were full, so I joined a rag-tag, silent group with no leader. I spent the first few minutes just ogling at my surroundings. A couple of times I ogled too much and got picked off by a sniper.

Started moving forward, toward the next objective, running from cover to cover across the landscape. Running from a wrecked train, across open ground towards the remains of a low brick wall, a distant LMG gunner had me in his sights, with the bullets kicking up dust all around me. Eventually I arrived at a lumber yard and started prowling through the stacks of timber while crouched.

I came across an enemy garrison (a constructed spawn point) and dismantled it. Then I heard footsteps coming towards me, so I quickly went prone, nervously keeping watch and occasionally glancing behind me. Suddenly a Soviet rifleman came around the corner, right into my sights. I fired a quick burst and he collapsed. I heard a shot from behind me! I whirled around to see another, working the bolt of his rifle. A quick burst and he was down too.

Before I had a chance to congratulate myself for surviving that encounter, I heard creepy screaming noises coming from the sky. Looking up, I saw multiple trails of smoke coming in like a meteor shower...rockets! Stunned, I watched in awe as huge explosions blossomed all around me in every direction. I was in the center of it. Then it all went dark.

US Browning machine gunner

In another match on a different map, I went in as an American Browning MMG gunner. At one point I was helping to defend a strongpoint we had just captured. The enemy were pushing hard to take it back. I set my Browning bi-pod in an upper window of a building. I could see troops from my side in a raging firefight as the enemy attacked. I started firing, taking out 3 enemy on the move. I ducked down to change the magazine, and the window where I had been was peppered with bullets.

I chose a different window, to cover the road leading to a small bridge at our location. Immediately I noticed an Axis grenadier running at a crouch in the ditch alongside the road and quickly brought him down. Then I spotted 2 more figures in the field beyond, running towards us. A few short bursts and they were down too. Glancing back down the road, I froze...an armoured car had moved slowly into position, and it was aiming at me. Its automatic cannon started thumping and it all went dark.

Later in the same match, our team was attacking the last strongpoint on the map, which had a small bunker as one of its features. I set my MMG up in a covered keyhole position, braced on a pile of crates. Ahead, on a crest I could see enemy soldiers running for the bunker. I sprayed the hill in a long sustained burst and got two. Then another. Then a figure appeared at the bunker window. I fired a very short, accurate burst and I heard the tell-tale sound of a head-shot...the metallic clank of a helmet being hit. Another figure popped up. Another head-shot. The field between me and the bunker then became crowded, as our infantry charged the bunker, and our Sherman tank lumbered into view.

Last edited:
I've been playing a round or two, three or four nights a week.

Last night I was playing the medic in a squad that was setting up on the flanks and then dropping Garrisons.

A few other squads would then spawn and we would attack the flanks with force. It was a blast. Ended up playing two rounds because I had so much fun.

I will say, the new eastern front maps are my least favorite so far.

I don't really need sleep, right?

Last edited:
Got the drop on a squad coming up the road on Purple Heat Lane with my Thompson. It was 'gamey' glorious. Ended the match with 40 kills / 14 deaths. Other battles the ratio is the other way around. :p

It sounds Call of Duty like but I assure you that is like one in a million shot in this game.

Hardly any. You can see your stats at the end of the match, but no one else can. It isn't displayed anywhere.

What is displayed for everyone to see at the end of a match is general effectiveness in a number of categories, like Offensive, Defensive and Support.
Also displayed is commendations from other players for your performance during the match.

Hardly any. You can see your stats at the end of the match, but no one else can. It isn't displayed anywhere.

What is displayed for everyone to see at the end of a match is general effectiveness in a number of categories, like Offensive, Defensive and Support.
Also displayed is commendations from other players for your performance during the match.

Sounds good. They should also take away the individual K/D count though, I think. People tend to fixate on making numbers go up.

Happily though, each player's K/D count is only visible to themselves.
And every vet player knows it means nothing. I rarely even check it. I am too busy giving commendations to others (the debriefing screen doesn't last long).

I just got 4 post-battle commendations from my squad members for my actions as a medic during a match.
I had only 4 kills, and each of those was in immediate defense of a downed comrade (at close range, with a pistol).

Back