Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Name That Battle Game

Actually this isn't to hard to find if you cheat a little....

@Ithikial One picture that shows little details of the armies (other than they were still fighting in square formations) and the vague hint that it took place between 1500 and 1999?

I refuse to do reverse image search, so I'll just take a WAG (based on intensive internet research lasting around 5 minutes):

Battle of Culloden

Well those formations suggest Pike & Musket, though if they are and the artist is accurate It looks early, as larger numbers of pikes.

As both sides are using similiar formation it suggests it's a battle between two European nations.

Fortifications suggest NOT ECW.

OTOH I have no idea other than above, any points for trying? (Don't give him, credit for anything, Zinzan'll just get BIGGER headed)

@IthikialBattle of Culloden

Nope.

Alright I'll give you a hint. @Rico got the war right but not the battle name or the participants on both sides. ;) (Well one side played a minor role due to family ties). I really can't give you any more hints than that.

I studied this wider conflict as part of my Honours year thesis at the end of my history degree back in the day. :D

A battle within a bigger battle.

c38bdb5c72acaac60b6dc613f68485c3.jpg

It's easy if you know the battle, as you clearly do. I'd have probably given it to a guess of "Battle for Little Round Top", but Devils Den was what I was looking for. The boulders are unmistakable.

Many years ago I visited the battlefield, by myself, in late May. I'd fought the battle hundreds of times with AH's board game(s) so knew the terrain well (from a game board map POV). Weather was warm, but humidity was down so it was mostly pleasant. Walked it for three days from 6-to-6, consulting my then-and-now photo book. Was disappointed occasionally as the underbrush in places was extremely heavy and overgrown way out of proportion to 1863. For example, a lot of Culp's Hill was simply inaccessible.

Stood in most of the famous places and some less so. I wanted to see them for LOS from game playing. LOL. Walked the length of the field of "Pickett's Charge" up to "the Angle" and the "Copse of Trees ". I stood in line with the 20th Maine and took a handful of water from Plum Run.

What an extraordinary experience. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Last edited:
Watching the early 1990's tele-movie of Gettysburg (based on Michael Shaara's "The Killer Angels") back when I was a kid started my interest in the US Civil War. ;)

Hopefully easier than my last one.
3ee15a76fda43b0ce44f4d4edfe473fa.jpg

Napoleonic war scene but not sure which.........?

Back