Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Operation Konrad - Round 2 General Thread

yess true that... im almost forgot the second round already dont understand why people give up up their names if they dont can make an acceptable turn rate.... this is downgradign the whole exitement of the campaing

Down to the last few turns of regular time (there may be overtime).
The game is close, and the outcome will have an impact on Round 3 orders.
Once it is done, I will get the next round orders phase kicked off ASAP. I have maps ready for pretty much all eventualities, so we should be able to get to playing very quickly.
It is -10C with patchy snow (CM style) in my location, so I can empathize with the landsers :)

Last edited:
is it possible to drop the maps in the dropbox already ? that we can take a look in the spare time now ?

is it possible to drop the maps in the dropbox already ? that we can take a look in the spare time now ?
I’ve been a bit back-and-forth on this, and have considered 3 points:
1) Initially, I did not want those players still engaged in matches to be disadvantaged relative to future opponents who may have more time to check and play test on the maps. But we’re down to the last few minutes in one game, so that’s no longer a rationale.
2) There’s only one Round 3 map that is likely “locked.” Every other track has multiple map options, depending on what happens in the orders phase.
3) In Round 1, no one saw the maps during the orders phase. My original idea was that the terrain is only known in advance by the terrain type shown on the campaign map (I.e. hills forest town urban etc.). In Round 2, I made them visible beforehand. This *may* have had an impact on the R2 orders phase, and it likely will for Round 3. Not sure if this is good/bad, unrealistic or not. Feedback welcome on this point.

Also the set up zones are really important especially for the ''ongoing'' battles.
I will be fighting 3rd time in a row in the same map. As the set up zones are representing the ''front line'' known to both sides, I believe we should be able to have a look at them.
@OnePingOnly

At the risk of mixing timelines, I am going to first post this here to give you guys first dibs:

I am looking for 2-4 volunteers to play some mirror matches for the NEXT multi-player campaign.
This one is set in the OnePingOnly/Gunsalot Cinematic Universe (TM) ;) , and follows the Dahrani Civil War. It is CMSF2 RED vs. RED - Syrian vs. Uncon, company+ level. Unlike Op Konrad, battles will be "blind," with forces set up using pre-defined unit TOEs. Commanders will have a points system to add on extra stuff like tanks, car bombs, air support, etc. I'm in the advanced planning stages, and would like to test out a few concepts and scaling of battles.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

aww man, is it forlorn thinking to hope that we will be fighting the next round over the xmas break? Looking like cold bleak January now i guess.

The last battle of Round 2 is now complete, with a Draw at Balatonfokajar.

Round 2 Close-Out:
Below is the campaign map as of end of Round 2:

Op Konrad Round 2 End.jpg

• German and Soviet forces on Margit Island rendered each other combat-ineffective, and survivors have been parceled out to other units. The German retain control of Margit Island and may place a new unit there.
  • The German 711 Infantry Division repelled a counterattack at Tokod by the T-34’s of the 18th Tank Corps.
  • Armored infantry of the 6th Panzer Division secured the heights at Tolna, pushing back the 23rd Rifle Corps.
  • The 5th SS Panzer Division ‘Wiking” advanced down the highway out of Zamoly, destroying the 68th Rifle Corps in the process.
  • The Soviet 20th and 21st Guards Rifle Corps held out in the towns of Osi and Balatonfokajar, respectively. An armored infantry battalion of the 1st Panzer Division was smashed at the former, and the 3rd Panzer Division eliminated at the latter.
Special mentions this round go to @Drifter Man who executed a successful, slow, grinding attack in unfavorable terrain for the attacker at Tolna. Tolna was a challenging battle for both sides as it was difficult to mutually support efforts across the front. I’d also point out @dkchapuis who took over a bad situation mid-game at Balatonfokajar and nearly pulled out a victory. @Bleskaceq was a star on the Soviet side, with a completely smothering defense of Osi.

I’m sure there will be some disagreement, but I think the rules changes for the Track battles made for more competitive games.
We went from 1 German victory in Round 1 to 3 victories in Round 2, which is more aligned with historical outcomes. 3 of the 5 battles were competitive to the last minutes, with a 2-1 split in wins between Germans and Soviets for those 3 battles. None of the remaining 2 battles were decided so early as to be meaningless. That tells me that the balance is about right, and therefore, I will not be making any rule changes for Round 3.

Here's the stats through Round 2:
Round 2 Stats.jpg

What didn’t go well:
Round 2 took too long to complete.

We had one battle that took 161 days to complete: 106 days prior to making a personnel change, and still taking 55 days AFTER making a personnel change. :mad:
As GM, I should have paid closer attention to the flagging battle and made a personnel change earlier. I was traveling for work, and just didn’t pay close enough attention. That will not happen again, and I will control what I can control. I replaced one person, and another is on the hot seat for slow play.

I’m budgeting 60 days for a 45 turn battle. With the exception of multi-week vacation or illness, that’s enough time to get this done - it’s only 5 turns per week. If there is significant vacation or illness that is falling outside the curve, turns will be taken for you by myself or someone else from your team. If I have problems that I can’t rectify, then I will find a permanent replacement and/or give an automatic victory to the opposing side.

In addition to your personal help and commitment with turn rates, I'm asking the following: Please DO NOT delete turns in your DB; let me do that so I can track the file timing. IIt makes it easier to see trends if I don't have to undelete files and rewind. Thank you.

Onward to Round 3!!!!

@Drifter Man @Shady Side @Monty's Mighty Moustache @dkchapuis @Guardsman @Cargol @jackal @Bleskaceq @Spoogles @Brille @Aurelius @Gorst

Back