Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Wars Of The Roses Campaign: Chiquichops vs Rico

@chiquichops and I are playing (testing) this as a one-on-one mini campaign.

It's a fun, simplified FOG: Medieval campaign based on the 15th Century English dynastic civil war known as the War of the Roses pitting the House of Lancaster against the House of York.

We're at the point of doing the initial set up.

Armies used will be:
English (Lancastrian) 1455 - 1460
English (Yorkist) 1455 - 1560
For foreign meddling:
Scots (Britain) 1450 - 1500
French 1445 - 1465

Here are the rules of the campaign (hope it works -- there might be a few amendments/additions as we go along) :

WARS OF THE ROSES

CAMPAIGN RULES

Two-player campaign of 6 to 8 turns.

Q2cILjx.jpg

One side is the reigning KING, the other the CHALLENGER.

The aim of each side is to have a leader on the THRONE and control as much of England (+Calais) as possible.

SET UP

At start regions/cities are randomly drawn (this is for replayability -- no 2 starting setups are the same):
4 Yorkist
4 Lancastrian
3 Neutral
+ Calais (which always starts neutral)

1. The starting side that controls London holds the throne (see large crown on map) and it becomes the Royal Capital.

2. If London is neutral, then whoever controls York holds the throne and it becomes the Royal Capital.

3. If York is also neutral, then it's by random draw and any region can become Royal Capital.

4. The Challenger player then selects a location for its capital from regions it controls.

LEADERS
Each side starts with THREE leaders or contenders for the throne, which are eliminated if they die in battle.
If a side runs out of leaders, it automatically loses.

TURN SEQUENCE

Only the player holding INITIATIVE performs actions during a turn.
(the player who won the battle in the previous turn, regardless of victory level, holds initiative)

TURN 1 Initiative -- the CHALLENGER player gets to attack first in TURN 1.

1. Political Phase:
Initiative player can use Prestige Points (PP) to change allegiances of neutral or enemy regions/cities one step in his favour:
Enemy --> Neutral --> Friendly
Cost:
Region - 2 PP
York, London & Calais: 3 PP

2. Foreign Intervention Phase:
Random 8 die roll determines Scottish or French intervention.
a) 1 -- Scotland attacks Northumbria
b) 8 -- France attacks Calais (if Calais neutral, then the Reigning King player fights this battle)

3. Battles Phase:
Initiative player launches a battle to capture an enemy region/city.
It can be a KING's Battle or a LORD's BATTLE (see battles)

4. Battle Results Phase:
Effects of battle results are applied.

BATTLES
All battles are fought in FOG: Medieval as "Remove The Head" battles -- if the C in C dies at any time during the battle, their army routes and loses.

There are two types of battles a side can fight: KING's Battles and LORD's Battles

KING's Battle:
All battles fought in or launched from a region/city connected to a side's Capital is fought as a KING's Battle - ie: the reigning King and/or the Throne CHALLENGER are in command of the armies.

LORD's Battle:
All battles fought in or launched from a region/city NOT CONNECTED to a side's Capital is fought as a LORD's Battle.
(defence of CALAIS is always a LORD's Battle, but armies are selected as per normal)

LORD's battles are also fought as "Remove The Head" battles -- but no major leaders are at risk.

NOTE: ARMIES for LORD's Battles are selected using "Auto Fill" when setting up the battle.

You can have a situation where one army is a LORD's Army and the other a KING's army.
(the KING's army is selected normally, the LORD's is "auto fill".)

Fighting a KING's Battle is obligatory if region/city of battle is connected to the side's capital.

BATTLE RESULTS
Any victorious battle results wins the attacker the region/city and gives that player initiative for the next turn. (only York vs Lancaster battles count towards initiative)

KING's BATTLES

MAJOR VICTORY (40%+) and/or King eliminated (any victory level)
-- earns 3 PP, captures region/city and winning challenger side puts its leader on the throne as the NEW KING and selects a new capital city if appropriate

MAJOR VICTORY (40%+) -- no leader lost -- earns 2 PP, captures region/city

MINOR VICTORY (60%) -- no leader lost -- earns 1 PP, captures region/city

LORD's BATTLES

MAJOR VICTORY (40%+)
-- earns 1 PP, captures region/city

Minor VICTORY (60%+) -- earns 0 PP, captures region/city

SCOTTISH INVASION
If the random die roll results in a Scottish invasion of Northumbria, the defensive battle is fought by whichever side controls it. (other player commands Scots)
(A KING's Battle if Northumbria is connected to the side's capital region/city)

If Northumbria is NEUTRAL, then Scottish occupation is automatic.

If Scot control Northumbria, then control can only be regained by force of arms, not political using PP's.

CALAIS
If the random die roll results in a French attack on CALAIS, the defensive battle is fought by whichever side controls it. (other player commands the French)
If neutral, then the reigning KING player fights the battle.

The battle for Calais is a normal Open Battle, not a "Remove The Head" battle and forces are selected normally.

Battle result:
French Major Victory (40%+) -- French capture Calais
French Minor Victory (+60%) -- Calais besieged -- another battle is fought (if inconclusive again, then French repulsed)
English Major Victory (40%+) -- French repulsed decisively
English Minor Victory (+60%) -- Calais besieged -- another battle is fought (if inconclusive again, then French repulsed)

Once CALAIS is LOST, it cannot be recovered by ANY means.

Successful REPULSE of a French attack on Calais earns the defending side 2 PP.

CAPITALS
If a side's capital is captured, they can just move their capital base to any other region under their control.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
1. If one side runs out of leaders, then they lose immediately
2. If one side has no more regions in ENGLAND, they lose immediately. (even if they hold the throne at this point)

3. EXCEPTION: If one side has no more regions in ENGLAND, but control CALAIS and has at least one leader, they can launch a one-off attack in the next turn against Cornwall, Somerset, Essex or Sussex to try and regain a foothold in England. (even if they don't hold initiative)

4. If we come to end of TURN 8 and both sides still have leaders left and control regions/cities, then the side with more points gets a MINOR Victory.
London 3 pts
York 2 pts
Calais 2 pts
1pt per surviving leader

Last edited:
So here's the set up.

@chiquichops plays House of Lancaster which has the reigning king, I play House of York.

The draw for region/city control resulted in peculiar outcome -- both LONDON and YORK remain unaligned so far in this dynastic conflict, so Lancaster sets up it's capital in SUSSEX, York sets up base in LANCASTER.

Both sides start with zero Prestige Points (PP), and we each start with a score of 4 points.

York as throne challengers get Turn 1 initiative and decide to attack in ESSEX -- it's a King's Battle, which is set up as a "Remove The Head" FOG: Medieval battle, which means if either CiC gets killed/eliminated, their army routs and is defeated.

(no activity from the Scots or French this turn)

War Of Roses Set Turn 1aa.jpg

Last edited:
The armies line up for the first major battle of this campaign.

The Yorkist forces in the foreground -- units mostly foot -- not much cavalry in use in England at this time, most men at arms preferring to fight on foot.
Lots of mixed billmen and longbow units -- not seen those before.

FOG2Medieval 2023-01-24 07-44-50-239.jpg

The Lancastrians have brought some cannon -- let's see how that plays out.

FOG2Medieval 2023-01-24 07-45-00-986.jpg

First blood to the Lancastrians as a cannon blasts a hole in the Yorkist pike ranks. There are Welshmen and Irishmen here too, come to join in the fun. I don't see any Scots yet.
We'll carry the day here, steel yourself loyal Lancastrians!

Cagey start with with finally some action against enemy Lancastrian horse and archers on my left flank and the left wing "Battle" advancing slightly (my archers managed to rout one light artillery unit which was delpoyed next to the marsh :cool: ) -- trying to coax out whatever @chiquichops has inevitably hidden in those flanking woods.

FOG2Medieval 2023-01-26 08-54-34-586.jpg

My right wing foot looking across at the enemy line with anticipation of the slugfest to come...

FOG2Medieval 2023-01-26 08-57-12-246.jpg

The Lancastrians are holding on but I still see a narrow win for the Yorkists here. Fingers crossed I'm wrong...

1674914521396.png
The battle is over wih a Lancastrian victory. Now, @Rico , does that make a major victory and 2PP, given that I pushed you over 40% ?

View attachment 28635
The battle is over wih a Lancastrian victory. Now, @Rico , does that make a major victory and 2PP, given that I pushed you over 40% ?
Yes, Major Victory (without Leader eliminated) -- so that's two Prestige Points for you and you gain initiative for Turn 2.

Will update everything this evening -- got some work to finish rest of this afternoon (my time)

The battle in Turn 1 ended with a Major Defeat for the Yorkist attack into ESSEX (but no leader was lost)

War Of Roses Turn 1b.jpg

This earned the Lancastrian side TWO prestige points (PP) and swings the initiative over to them.

War Of Roses Turn 2a.jpg

Lancastrian King @chiquichops decides to use his two PP in the Politics Phase to change GLOUCESTER's status from non-aligned to loyal to the House of Lancaster
This gives the Lancastrian side an early 5-4 points lead.

Lancastrians also decides to attack CORNWALL -- this results in KING's battle for the Lancastrians and a LORD's battle for the Yorkists (CORNEALL not being connected to the Yorkist capital)

This means that the Yorkist army for the battle is selected automatically by the AI using "Autofill" instead of having units picked by the player.
It's still a "Remove the Head" battle.

War Of Roses Turn 2b.jpg

Battle has been joined and things not looking good for the Cornish peasant levies and raw archers against the well-drilled nobles of the Lancastrian main army. :2charge:

It ended in a major victory for the Lancastrians. I didn't have much trouble routing an army mostly made up of raw troops, in spite of @Rico routing a few of my units on the right. Obviously, I had a big advantage, the Yorkists being forced to use autofill as a LORD army.
Now, I could use my Prestige Points to take York or Calais, or save them up ...
The advantage of attacking as a King against Lord is patent, given that the autofill option is usually inferior to human choice. However, that isn't an option now so I'll have to face @Rico 's pretender to the throne, an entirely different kettle of fish.
I don't think I can move my capital can I @Rico ? If I bring York over to my side, does it become my capital? I'm guessing not...

The Lancastrian KING's army overruns Cornwall, decisively defeating the Cornish levies.

War Of Roses Turn 2c.jpg

TURN 3

Lancaster holds on to the INITIATIVE, and earns two Prestige Points (PP).

Lancaster does not have enough PP's to sway either London, York or Calais -- as these need 3 PP's.

So, we move on straight to the Foreign Intervention die roll, which results in the SCOTS invading NORTHUMBRIA.
(This will be a LORD's battle for the Lancastrians)

@chiquichops -- where will you attack next?

War Of Roses Turn 3a.jpg

Calamity has struck the Lancastrian side during the battle for LINCOLN.

The Lancastrian KING joined his retainers in a reckless charge on a formation of Yorkist Men at Arms on foot ... and was struck down during the ensuing melee.
Seeing their King dead dead on the battle field resulted in a rout of the Lancastrian army.

The Yorkist Prince shall now seize the crown and attempt to take over the kingdom!

Meanwhile the Scottish invasion battle up in NORTHUMBRIA continues -- still inconclusive at the moment as both sides are being very cautious.

War Of Roses Turn 3c.jpg

TURN 4:

The turn starts with the INITIATIVE back with the YORK side, who now hold the crown.

LANCASTER side are now the challengers, with only 2 leaders left, after the Lancastrian King's demise in the last turn.

Both York and Lancaster have 3 Prestige points -- York earning 3 for their victory last turn, Lancaster 1 for their victory against the Scots.

War Of Roses Turn 4a.jpg

This is how TURN 4 plays out:

1. Political Phase:
YORK uses its 3 Prestige Points to swing City of YORK over to its side.

2. Foreign Intervention Phase:
Die roll determines NO foreign involvement this turn.

3. Battles Phase:
YORK attacks into GLOUCESTER - -there will be a KING's Battle there.

War Of Roses Turn 4b.jpg

Last edited:
Back