Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

We are planning to start a new game of Empires... anybody wishing to join us sign in below.

It's much harder under the new rules/patch to get a client state. Still, I guess if you have enough money. But sure, have a HR limiting CS to maybe just 1.

I would also be interested in another match.

But IMHO I'm not so worried about the amount of client states one has. Much worse are nation traits. Some nations have a huge runaway potential and are very favoured vs other, smaller nations.

Just found out about this game and would be interested to play some MP down the line a bit.

Where there any major conflicts between the human players?

I do remember that we tried to gang up on Macedonia when it became a huge empire and then we began losing. My kingdom unraveled and I had to fight rebellions.
That’s right. We ganged up on him because he was kicking our ass, and then lost a member @Nelson1812 because he didn’t like the gang up thing. I just thought of it as a game, so all is fair. But it did bring up the issue because I knew where Nelson was coming from, but also thought what is the point of we don’t try and win? That is why if we do this again, maybe we have some house rules regarding allies. And client states

Interesting, thanks! Some clarity about rules might indeed be a good thing, so it sounds :)

Some scheming and conniving seems rather fitting for such games, but indeed all players need to have the same expectations for everyone to have fun. Perhaps some compromise could be reached? Like no ganging up in the beginning of the game, limiting alliances between the real powerhouses, etc.

One of the things I like about this game is that a mid/late game faceoff between larger powers seems to be more variable than compared to let's say Total War.
The more powerful nations will usually also be more decadent and with public order under strain in larger cities, so they are vulnerable in certain ways.

At least that's my impression until now.

I got the game (with FOG2) and am playing the AI a bit. I'd be up for starting a game somewhere November / December.

I would be up for an MP game too. Just write when you are ready for a game.
I have not played it in a while. Really like the mechanics in the game, they really help avoid snowballing like you can get in games like Total War or Dominions.
It would be fun to treat this like a game of Diplomacy, everything goes. Though everyone does have to be agree to that. Diplomacy is a friendship killer, I can understand if people would not find it fun. If so then we have to come up with some clear house rules.

I think a problem with our MP game was that we played on a rather easy level. That allows some states (Diadochis & Rome) to run away with the game because decadence doesn't hit them hard enough.
Macedonia had expanded very rapidly and I was expecting it to collapse. Before I noticed it wasn't going to it was too late.
On a higher difficult level you cannot do that anymore.
Buying client states is not so much of a problem. The mostly act as a buffer between you and the barbarians. And they live on lands you don't want to own because the decadence would kill you.

My suggestion for the next MP game would be to stay away from the big nations. I also like the idea to forbid human alliances although it takes a bit away from the game.

So, are we doing this again?
I'm up for it!

Have played around with the AI a bit, started a game on 3rd or 4th difficulty and it went quite well as Rome. However after some 200 turns basically I won the game, but management was getting quite a lot overhead; work became busy, since than haven't touched it really. But I think I'm ready to play some human opponents.

Personally I would prefer that all is fair love & war, but if that disturbes the peace I'm fine with some houserules too. Not going for the big nations might be an interesting thing as well, although it's sort of just moving the bar because some nations will still be bigger than others, or have more options to become big faster, etc.
I think it is wise to accept before hand that the game isn't balanced persé, even though small factions can still become larger and beat/hinder larger factions; the world isn't divided equally.

Back