Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

We are planning to start a new game of Empires... anybody wishing to join us sign in below.

Ok, I think we should do this. I want to participate. We have enough people, but I don’t want to run it. Any takers

What would be needed to run this? I take it mainly setting up the game and communicating the necessary stuff to get started the participants etc?

I'd like to help / put some effort in getting this started. Although I haven't played a PBEM/MP in Empires before. And have quite some CM PBEMs ongoing, so I'm trying to be vigilant not getting overburdened.

To start things of I thought to make myself useful a bit.

Potential participants:
@Nathangun
@Wellsonian
@YpPy
@poesel71
@Rico
@Nelson1812
@Iain F
@Zero
@Lethaface

Houserules
The question of houserules needs to be addressed. The following subjects were mentioned before:

* Excluded factions?
* Difficulty setting (expert?)
* limitations with regards to alliances between human players?
* Limitations with regards to client states?

Picking a country
Seems the last time everyone could choose 2 nations and all went into a pot with random draws? If that worked well, seems like a good way to do it again.

Reply to Lethaface.
Houserules
  • I would say exclude nations in the major category as well as nation with 3 or less stars of difficulty (there are only a few)
  • I would say expert. It would make increase mechanics to make expansion and keeping your empire together harder, above that only AI seems to get bonuses.
  • I'm for anything goes. Though as said, if someone would like some limitations I'm ok with that too.
  • Not really sure, have not played in a while. Someone else might know if the mechanic is too broken
Picking a country
A pot luck would be fun

Additional Houserules
I did find that buying provinces off the AI was way too easy. Maybe that should be disallowed?

Turn timer
What should the turn timer be set to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree on everything except for the ban on buying provinces. Without that mechanic we will have a very hard time just fighting the AI.

I liked the 24h turn timer we had (although others hated it). It keeps the game moving. But 36h are also ok.

Agree on everything except for the ban on buying provinces. Without that mechanic we will have a very hard time just fighting the AI.

I liked the 24h turn timer we had (although others hated it). It keeps the game moving. But 36h are also ok.
Fair enough about the first point, my views are solely based on single player. As for the turn timer 36 h would probably be as good as 24 h. Though with no ability to pause it, I know that I would miss a fair few turns over christmas and new year.

Fair enough about the first point, my views are solely based on single player. As for the turn timer 36 h would probably be as good as 24 h. Though with no ability to pause it, I know that I would miss a fair few turns over christmas and new year.

Probably you wouldn't be the only one missing out a fair few turns ;-).

Something which crossed my mind: Given the time of the year, many of us will have more games to play but less time to play them. :D (showing here too).

I'm still up for a game and due to corona I guess I'll manage with the turn timer, although with two important GOLIVE's at work and December family affairs. Perhaps it would be wiser to make this a 2021 incarnation of Ancient times?

Last edited:
Back