Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

World War One

Kentucky National Guard cavalry, date unknown
KentuckyArmyNatGd.jpg

Western-Front-battlefields.jpg

Frontline trenches. Group of French servicemen, "Poilus", in front of the entrance of a cote. Woods of Hirtzbach. (Haut-Rhin. France. June 16th, 1917)
"Poilus" (hairy) is the nickname to French WWI soldiers, since they could not afford the luxury of regular shaving. It is a term of affection, especially now.
1.jpg

Frontline trench, observer. French serviceman at work in the trenches. Woods of Hirtzbach. (Haut-Rhin. France. June 16th, 1917)
2.jpg

Lookout in the post of the lock 26. Serviceman Frenchman in observation. Eglingen. (Haut-Rhin. France. June 23rd, 1917)
3.jpg

Senegalese and other French African colony soldiers
4.jpg

Soldier is getting a haircut. The sign, "Ligne de résistance" on the left, means "resistance line". They must be close to "No man's land".
5.jpg

Troops at rudimentary fortifications
6.jpg

Boyaux were trenches or tunnels of communication that provided covered passage between parallels and from parallels to batteries in an attack by regular approaches. Boyaux for infantry were usually just wide enough for the passage of two men (4 to 5 feet); dimensions could be increased when it was necessary to pass artillery through the trenches rather than move guns and howitzers into position over open ground under cover of darkness. Boyaux were usually advanced from covered positions in rear of the trenches of an attack and from parallel to parallel in zig-zag patterns that defiladed the trenches from defensive artillery and small arms fire.
Cezaro means Cesar in French, just like soldiers gave names to the trenches in WWI.
Largitzen refers to the French region of Largitzen, which is in the extreme east of France, south of Alsace.
7.jpg

Outside their bunker
8.jpg

Taking a break
9.jpg

RF in the sentry house stands for République Française (French Republic)
10.jpg

Belgian troops carrying their FN Mauser Model 1889 rifles
11.jpg

An officer or staff member vehicle
12.jpg

Abbot Even, chaplain of the 51th division, in front of a car-ambulance. Boesinghe. (Belgium. September 10th, 1917)
13.jpg

Belgian policeman and help - French policeman. Woesten. (Belgium 25 aout 1917)
14.jpg

Artillery piece(Belgium. September 5th, 1917)
15.jpg

General Anthoine, First Army Commander. (Northern France, September 11, 1917)
16.jpg

Newspaper sale. French soldiers in front of a stall (or stand). Rexpoede. (France. September 6, 1917)
17.jpg

I love these old pics from WWI. The ones from the beginning of hostilities always show the innocent, naive look of the proud soldier, yet they rapidly become the looks of horror and disgust as the true brutality of war is experienced. I always have a feeling of pity and sorrow when I see the young faces, completely unaware of what is about to happen to them and the horrific memories they will carry to their graves. I believe the same could be said of any veteran of any conflict. My wife has shown me pictures of myself, before and after, and I'm still amazed at the physical change.

Back