Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Progress screenshots: FGM Competition "1944" (Finished)2010

Has anyone tried to contact Razorboy?

Not me. He's a big boy and knows the rules about a deadline.
My attitude is the same as with my tourneys, namely if people go AWOL it shows their heart is not in it. If they come back of their own volition, fine, otherwise I certainly don't waste my time chasing after them..;)

..I kinda liked the idea of Razorboy as a judge because he's definitely an expert modeller whose skills leave ours in the shade..

Bollox, he's good, but then so are we!
Hell, even I won a competition with my 1/35th Tamiya motorised M-60 tank organised by a model shop some years ago, it played a blinder trundling along the floor..:)

PS- just to comment more on the judging:- one reason I'm against having judges is that it'll devalue the winner's trophy, because it means it'll have been awarded to him by just a few people.
But if the whole membership of FGM were the judges via a poll, his victory would have much more clout and be much more satisfying to him.
It's like when me and a couple of members were discussing awarding Bootie a tankard for his services to wargaming, we decided it'd be far better if it didn't come from just the 3 of us, but from the entire club, so I PM'd every member asking if they supported the tankard idea and the "yesses" were overwhelming.
Bootie can therefore proudly polish his tankard knowing that it was awarded not just by a few individuals but by the entire membership of FGM..:)

On second thoughts, maybe having the entire membership cast their votes in the model competition is not such a good idea after all..
I mean, some people might vote for somebody out of loyalty because he's their mate, not because they think his entry is the best, it's human nature I suppose.
I think we'd better leave it to our Captain Bootie to decide whether to go with Membership votes or with Judges.
If he decides on Judges, I nominate they can be-

Bootie (for his eye for line and scale)
Me (for my modelling experience)
Earl of Grey (for his AFV colour scheme knowledge)

Plus maybe a couple more?

I'm easy really. For what it's worth I would love to see a poll on the models go to the membership...although at this point we're not exactly swamped with 'em. I liked the judges plus poll method best, but I'm not overly fussed. 50/50? Not a bother either way to me.

McIvan -- looks great, technically awesome. -- maybe a bit of overkill on the dust -- look more like southern Italy or Sicily ;-)

Yeah the dust is definitely overkill, but thankfuly it's not a major to scale it back. The dust streaking on the sides will be the challenge...

..I liked the judges plus poll method best, but I'm not overly fussed..

Even if the members votes aren't given as much weight as the judges votes, the fact remains that the "votes for mates" loophole will still carry some er...weight and influence the results unless its totally plugged by only letting the judges vote.
The panel of expert judges can fully discuss the merits of all the entries via e-mail among themselves before reaching their carefully-considered decision.

PS- speaking of loopholes, when Sir Alan Sugar gives tasks to his wannabee apprentices to sell more stuff than the other team, it beats me why team members don't secretly phone around all their relatives and friends and say- "Our stall will be on the Portobello Road all day tomorrow, please come down and buy something and help us win!"
Or maybe they already secretly do that for all we know..:)

Well seeing as Razorboy helped set this up we will give him to June 6th to see if he returns. If not I intend to use the same scoring criteria as listed in the rules. We cant change the rules at the 11th hour as it isnt what people signed up for.

If RB does not return we will draft in someone else to act as judge in his place.

I am pretty sure I will not have it completed by the 6th, but will post photos of what I have got so far...

Crusader Mk III AA of the 7th Armoured Division, Normandy, 1944

Today's the deadline so here is my entry as it presently stands.

"Skyraker" is a Crusader Mk III AA tank armed with two 20mm Oerlikon cannon. Seven of these tanks were assigned to each British Armoured Division fighting in Normandy.

First the real tank...

CrusaderIIIAAMkIII.jpg

Secondly my effort, begrimed in the dust of the Normandy summer.

2010_0605modelslatest0024.jpg

2010_0605modelslatest0022.jpg

2010_0605modelslatest0025.jpg

This is model I will keep working on.....and I think to be seen at best effect it will need its own base and a crew figure, but that will be a project for a later time. I would have liked to photograph it in natural light outside on the grass, but unfortunately mother nature is being extremely unco-operative today!

I have to give my apologies for failing to finish my entry. Real Life proved much busier than I expected. However, I haven't given up, and will definitley post pictures of my Wirblewind once done. BTW, great work on the AA Crusader McIvan!

Back