Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Progress screenshots: FGM Competition "1944" (Finished)2010

Ok, had nothing too much to do for a couple of days while I let the oil paint dry and laid down a couple coats of Klear.

Last night I had my first serious go at chipping. There are heaps of ways to go about this; the one I chose to experiment with involves a lighter version of the base colour for the scratch, and dark brown for the metal underneath. Other methods are using a sponge to lay down lots of irregular patches and dots of a brown or dark grey, or using a base layer with salt crystals or some other material sandwiched between the base and top coat, then abrading off the top coat where it is over the sandwiched material to show a lovely patchwork effect. I have that second technique in mind for a future winter-washed Stug IIIB.

In my minds eye we've got an older hull that has been in salt water while getting off the landing craft, with a newish AA turret. Of the areas on the hull, the equipment lockers and the side skirts seemed to me the most vulnerable, so chipped there the most. Wheels and the rest of the hull didn't get too much, although I gave a fair bit to the drivers "castle" and hatch. The turret got very little.

2010_0601-Chipping.jpg

Viewing the results, I can see this technique will definitely benefit from practice and a lot of searching archives for examples of the real thing. A few more scratches as opposed to chips would have been good too. Having said that, I found it no easy task to try and imagine what chipping and rusting would look like......would be real easy to overdo the effect, which I think I may have a little but no matter. I quite like it.

Next up is a bit of bare metal highlighting....teeth of the drive sprocket, handles, that type of thing, then moving on to dust streaks.

Well time is against me, however I have managed to finish the Panther. I want to incorporate some scenary but I don't have the time at the moment. I've learned a lot though this project, I feel I've moved on significantly from my first Halftrack project. I still have a long way to go and tecniques to refine but I've really enjoyed the build.

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3887.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

Well done on the Panther. In your build I really enjoyed the zimmeritt, which you did bloody well on, and I must say the mud you've added to the tracks looks good, especially in that front on shot. Like the painting and highlighting on the top MG, and also the flash supressor of the main gun. You are definitely justified in saying you've moved upwards significantly. Hope you're pleased with it!

SITREP: 1944 Build Competition

Razorboy- Stug and Grenadiers 'clearing the trench'
ACSpectre- Opel Blitz truck 'Maquis ambush'
McIvan- Crusader III AA tank
The Fisher King- Panther: FINISHED
Airborne Bob- Infantry defensive position
Willard- Wirbelwind
Zaraza- C-47

PS- When does this Competition end? It's been running now for 6 months and only Fisher King has finished!
Maybe the competitors can post a progress report saying how far along they are with their masterpieces?
The last I heard, Bootie and me are going to be the judges, but I forget who's running and organising the show.
I suggest we think about ending it at the end of June (4 weeks from now) and the winner will get the usual inscribed FGM Trophy Cup or Tankard, how does that sound?

CupModel.png

Mick,

The rules of the competition are that D-Day is, appropriately, the 6th of June.....which is the date I'm working towards. I'll be finished...hell, I could submit the Crusader now if need be.

Judges are you, Bootie and Razorboy and a 25% weighting on member poll.

Group Model Build #1 - 1944
Starting - 00:00hrs. February 7, 2010 < > Ending 18:00hrs. June 6, 2010

1) All FGM members are allowed and encouraged to participate - except those members designated as judges.
2) All entries must represent military or civilian figures,vehicles, aircraft, naval vessels, equipment or structures in use by any nation during the year 1944.
3) All builds must be documented by no less than 3 pictures taken during construction, with the first photo showing the kit parts still on the sprue.
**** We will waive rule #3 for this first build and allow any builds started this year****
4) All builds must be completed by the specified finish-date in order to be judged.
5) All modellers are allowed up to 3 entries and as specified in rule#3, there must be at least 1 pre-construction picture, 2 construction pics and at least 3 when completed for judging.
6) All scales and kit types are permitted, ie. resin, styrene, alloy,wood, etc..
7) Dioramas are permitted in this build.
8) Judging will be as follows: Judge Votes - each with one vote counting: (25% x3 Judges) = 75%
Member Votes - done through a voting poll = 25%
----------
100%
9) All Judge's decisions are FINAL
10) Have FUN!!!!

Please list your choice for the build on this thread and should anyone have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Now let's have some FUN!

Rules repeated for reference....

Okay but Razorboy hasn't visited FGM for 4 weeks and the above rules look too complicated anyway.
I vote-
1- Bootie assumes command of the show
2- All competitors can be mailed or PM'd to remind them of the 6 June deadline (perhaps they've forgotten)
3- If they had forgotten, Bootie can perhaps extend the deadline another couple of weeks or so at his discretion to give them time to finish.
4- We can simply put up a poll to let members decide the winner by voting for whichever creation they like best, based on photos posted by the competitors. That way the whole club will enjoy being involved, rather than just having a few judges.
I suggest a 'Judging Thread' be opened after the finish in which each competitor will post 4 pictures of their stunning creations (from different flattering angles).
A poll and an announcement can then be put up in Gen Chat asking members to visit the Scale Models Judging thread to scrutinise the creations and vote accordingly.

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm really glad I went for the zimmerit which added an additional element to the build. I think customising kits is something I'll do more of in the future.

Well, one hopes Razorboy will be along for the judging since we haven't hit the deadline, although 4 weeks sounds a little ominous...

No objection from me to points 1, 2 and 3.....and with no.4 I merely point out that all club members were already going to be asked to vote on their favourite.

In the interim, it is now time to demolish my beautiful deep olive green finish and smear it beneath the layers of chalky earth and dust in the heat of Normandy 44. First step is rain marks.......followed by dust on the top of the turret - which is all I had time for. The hull will follow tomorrow. I used a Buff colour....pretty pleased with this side, the other side is perhaps a little too heavy on the streaking but its not too bad. Hopefully it looks like a nice dusty grimy Crusader.....I could easily go badly wrong here.

2010_0602-TurretDust.jpg

I may need the extension..new baby and buying a house have set me behind

..I merely point out that all club members were already going to be asked to vote on their favourite.

Yes but more weight was going to be given to how several "judges" voted.
I suggest we don't have any judges and simply let the votes of every FGM member decide the winner.
The poll will then be dead simple and look like this-

Cast your vote-

Razorboy- Stug and Grenadiers 'clearing the trench'
ACSpectre- Opel Blitz truck 'Maquis ambush'
McIvan- Crusader III AA tank
The Fisher King- Panther
Airborne Bob- Infantry defensive position
Willard- Wirbelwind
Zaraza- C-47

I suggest the poll be left open for 3 days and the votes kept totally hidden until the end of the 3 days.

(PS- Bootie told me yesterday that he'll be sorting all this out in the next day or two)

I kinda liked the idea of Razorboy as a judge because he's definitely an expert modeller whose skills leave ours in the shade....which means he knows exactly how much effort has gone in, and what to look for, whereas half our members with all due respect to them wouldn't have much idea. But if he's not around, he's not around :(

Hey wait a min, Razorboy is a competitor, so according to Rule #1, he can't be a judge as well! Look-

1) All FGM members are allowed and encouraged to participate - except those members designated as judges.

No. I will be having a look at this over the next day or two. Im on my last shift at work then have a few days of. Ideally I would like to stick to the original rules but will have a good read and decide on the practicalities of them on an individual basis. I dont think Razorboy actually entered his model.

Yeah Razorboy wasn't entering as he was a judge....I mean he was still doing his model but, like POS with his tourneys, wasn't in the hunt to win.

Righto.....rain/dust streaks and accumulated dust have found their way onto the decks and sides of my doughty Crusader, with results that for the first time in this build I'm not actually sure I like.

My thoughts are that it is a bit too much - not that it's out of reality in most respects, but somewhat more than I intended and obscuring too much of the hard-won detail I've put into this model over the last couple of months.

Things I do like are the way the dust "drifts" against the ridges and in the corners, and I tried to get the dry earth around the edges of the wheels and out of the middles where centrifugal force would have shifted it. I also like the rust effect on the spare tracks on the right front using brown and terracotta pigments.

I'm going to give it a day or two and mull it over before deciding whether to try and scale back the effects a little....if it is still possible. The rain streaked dust on the sides will be the hardest...its all Tamiya acrylic Buff that dried real quick - so quick it was real difficult to work with even diluted with plenty of water - and will be hard to shift. The dust on the top and on the wheels is a mixture of artist pastel chalks ground into powder with sandpaper and then fixed into position with mineral turpentine...used a mix of buff with a little ochre and an even smaller amount of dark brown. In contrast to the acrylic, the pastel pigments can easily be shifted with a brush, and regardless of what I intend to do with the rest of the model, I'm going to take a bit off the wheels and perhaps the tracks.

2010_0601modelslatest0005.jpg

2010_0601modelslatest0004.jpg

Back