Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I was thinking was how do we verify that really happened?
I mean, the stupidity of it is so overwhelming, not that I don't think it to be true.
I just don't want it to be so.

EDITED - Clearly some folks here are concerned that the article link I posted earlier is political, so I have removed it to avoid a brouhaha about it. Shane is busy enough.

However, free speech means keeping an open mind. That means looking at an issue from all angles, whether you agree with it or not.

That, the CDC has reported that in 94% percent of the COVID 19 deaths the patient had an average of 2.6 comorbidities that contributed to the death. That's 2.6 other things that contributed or caused the person's passing. So that leaves 6% of the total deaths where COVID was the cause of death.

I need to go to the CDC website to confirm the quotes, but if this article and the CDC are correct, then 10,980 Americans have died "FROM" COVID, not "with" COVID. In my opinion COVID has a tendency to excaerbate the effects of co-morbidities and accelerates the effects of the co-morbidities and eventually overwhelms the bodies abilities to recover.

Be warned this guy clearly has an agenda/opinion, but he presents some data in this article that I am going to run down myself. However, it is a different perspective from what is being reported in the mainstream media.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty well established that most people dying with/from covid are quite old and that many have several other health issues. Actually didn't think that was even controversial...

Under counting how?
There are several reasons for believing that we are under counting deaths caused by Covid 19 here are a few:
  • Historically that happens. During other pandemics when public health officials and epidemiologists look back at the data and evidence they find that in the moment we missed some deaths that were caused by the disease. Clearly that is not really evidence that it is happening now but I think an important note to take that under counting is not unexpected.
  • We have the over all example that I gave earlier. The deaths of humans is over all fairly predictable. The number of people who die each year in a country remains in a normal range unless something happens. For example a famine will push that up. Or in this case a pandemic. Not long a go I read an article that quoted that at that time in the US they were counting 150 000 deaths due to Covid 19 but over that same time period there were actually 200 000 more deaths than expected.
  • We have examples from NYC early in the pandemic. Their standard for counting a death as due to Covid 19 was that the person died after having a positive test for Covid 19 or at least a doctor diagnosing the disease. During that time of year they normally have 20 people die in their homes each day but during the pandemic that number was 200. Many of those people's families said they were sick and had symptoms constant with Covid 19 but they were not classified as having died from Covid 19.

But shouldn't the actual cause of death be counted as the cause of death? I think other things can be listed as secondary or contributing.

As an example many men get prostrate cancer. Many of these men will actually die of heart attacks etc after they have tested positive for prostrate cancer. But the death certificate lists the cause of death as a heart attack (or that fancy medical phrase they use for heart attacks). Why is it different for Covid?
Doctors do often list multiple causes of death - they list the things that contributed directly to the death. In your above example I honestly have no idea if prostate cancel contributes to heart problems. If it does then it would be on the list of causes. If it does not then it should not be on the list.

Here is another example I heard a doctor use. She has diabetes and is attacked by a bear. In the ICU while they are treating her bear attack injuries they have trouble controlling her sugar levels and she dies. The bear attack would the listed at the cause of death. The point is if she had not been attacked by a bear there is not reasons to believe that her otherwise in control diabetes would have killed her.

No, this isn't the first I've heard of this happening. There are a number of accounts where deaths are listed as COVID deaths when they are not. So my question is this. Of the people that were COVID positive two weeks ago, how many have survived and recovered? Why aren't we tracking that type of statistic?
Yeah, here is the thing. People pointing out errors like that are the ones that have an agenda. You should pay attention to that. Here let's establish a few things and see if we agree on some basics:
  • We know that the Covid 19 disease is real
  • We know that it can kill people
  • We know that a lot of people have died since the outbreak above and beyond the normal expected number of deaths. Specifically in the US that number is at least 200 000 for the time period of the pandemic.
Are we good with the above? If not then what I am about to say next will not convince you.

What are the chances that there are 200 000 or even 150 000 or even 100 000 mistakes like the example you gave that are suddenly being made by doctors? Practially it is zero. What are the chances that a cabal of doctors are conspiring to create these numbers. Definitely zero. What are the chances that a cabal of journalists are conspiring to create these numbers. Definitely zero.

How am I so sure?

Doctors, in general know what they are doing when it comes to disease diagnosis and treatment and the detection and recording of deaths. It is literally what they do. I have seen no evidence of large scale deception by doctors. Sure their are quacks out there but quackery just noise in the numbers that do a great job and care for us day in and day out.

Journalists, in general report the truth as they find it. Sure there are plenty of laziness and short cuts and terrible headlines but the basic stories are what they see and hear from people. There is plenty to be critical of in journalism. The great thing about journalism is that if someone uncovers new facts they report them and others go and investigate too. It's not a perfect science and its not as trustworthy as doctors but if one outlet publishing something that is BS another will publish a more accurate version. There is no way that a cabal of journalists could twist things so much without that leaking out.

Please note I am talking about journalism here not opinion pieces. That is an important distinction. Someone could write an opinion column about how they thing the whole Covid 19 pandemic is exaggerated and they might pull up goofy instances of clearly wrong record keeping to support their opinion. But a fact that I can list 10, 20 or hundreds of instances of incorrect manner of death is not really evidence that the pandemic is exaggerated. That's me throwing shade on experts, other reporters etc to convince you that you should not listen to the facts but instead listen to my opinion. That is not equivalent. If we want to establish that this whole thing is exaggerated then we need thousands upon thousands upon tens of thousands of examples of such malfeasance. There is no reason at all to think that doctors are doing anything like that and that journalists are covering it up.

That is preposterous.

Also, anyone else notice how ape shit the media has been about the post-Sturgis outbreaks, but still not saying a word about the risk of exposure at all these BLM and Antifa protests? Reporting the news, not so much, "shaping" the news, yep!
I call BS. I have no idea what you mean by post-Sturgis so I have no comment about that. But I constantly see two things, either mentioned directly or evident from the supporting images, in the coverage of protests against police racial violence. One, you actually see protesters wearing masks because they know that there is a pandemic going on and that they have to be as careful as they can be. Two, journalists often comment on the dangers of gathering and point out or interview people who remind high risk people they should stay away. I do not see some kind of shaping of a narrative that political rallies and church services cause spread and that protests do not.

A vaccine by November? The CDC has told states to submit their virus distribution plans in anticipation of starting vaccinations in November. That's a positive.

As for CC ragging me, I understand that the threat of the virus is real, I know that for people in high-risk categories it is deadly, I know that most people recover, I know we don't know the long term effects of the disease on internal organs.

I also know that the CDC has a whole section on the over-reporting of COVID deaths on their website, I've read it, as well as all the statistics. It is apparent that COVID will accelerate the deaths people with existing co-morbidities and I am not disputing your bear attack analogy, although intuition tells me that in a lot of cases the people were in a bad way as it was and COVID in essence "piled on" and accelerated the onset of death.

I am sorry, but you can't convince me that people standing shoulder to shoulder shouting, screaming, even with masks on, will not spread the virus given the fact that the CDC has said that most masks are not 100% proof from getting the disease. Plus I have seen a number of protest videos where protestors have their noses exposed or the masks under their chins. As for people wearing masks at protests, and especially the ones that turn violent, the masks are just as useful for hiding the identity of the protestors. Nice try CC.

And despite what you say, the press is biased and as the election approaches you see this more and more. Plus the press tries to shape the news, it doesn't actually report the news. We've had a number of members from other parts of the world state they they observe the same thing in their countries.

And despite what you say, the press is biased and as the election approaches you see this more and more. Plus the press tries to shape the news, it doesn't actually report the news. We've had a number of members from other parts of the world state they they observe the same thing in their countries.

When you have private ownership of media, that's what happens. The individual journalist is like the individual police officer - some are crooked, but I believe most of them actually want to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Wanting to do the right thing and actually doing the right thing are two different things. One's an ideal and the other is a reality. I see a lot of ideals in the media, but not a lot of realities. The realities are there, you just have to wade through the ideals to find them.

As for CC ragging me,
I wasn't trying to rag on you. I was trying to point out some issues with your statements. I don't consider that ragging.

I understand that the threat of the virus is real, I know that for people in high-risk categories it is deadly, I know that most people recover, I know we don't know the long term effects of the disease on internal organs.
Good, glad to hear that.

I also know that the CDC has a whole section on the over-reporting of COVID deaths on their website, I've read it, as well as all the statistics. It is apparent that COVID will accelerate the deaths people with existing co-morbidities and I am not disputing your bear attack analogy, although intuition tells me that in a lot of cases the people were in a bad way as it was and COVID in essence "piled on" and accelerated the onset of death.
Sure, none of which refutes that COVID 19 is killing people. I am glad to hear you are not trying to deny that.

I am sorry, but you can't convince me that people standing shoulder to shoulder shouting, screaming, even with masks on, will not spread the virus given the fact that the CDC has said that most masks are not 100% proof from getting the disease.
Good I never was trying to convince any one of that. My point was that officials and the protesters both know that it is a risky activity. I wouldn't go and I am sure many have stayed away. Some people feel the issues is more important than the risk. For those peacefully protesting I respect that. For those causing mayhem - I do not.

I still do not think that is a fair assessment at all.

I still do not think that is a fair assessment at all.

.....CORRECTION: Sorry, the post is too political, I am removing it. FYI, I am finding some interesting reports regarding the whole protest thing from both perspectives.

So, I am guessing you have better news sources in Canada? Share the links...

Last edited:
Sorry CC, not trying to be argumentative and combative. I am excited about a possible vaccine in the Fall.

Last edited:
why does the press continue to categorize the rioters in Portland as "protestors"? Once the rocks start flying, the bear spray comes out and people try to burn down buildings, that's a riot.

Would it be fair to say that there have been both legitimate protests and violent riots in Portland - and that they sometimes happen in combination?

I don't live in Oregon, but that's the narrative I'm getting from the BBC.

Would it be fair to say that there have been both legitimate protests and violent riots in Portland - and that they sometimes happen in combination?

I don't live in Oregon, but that's the narrative I'm getting from the BBC.

Yeah, I think it's a muddied mess. I am sure there are a number of peaceful protestors as well. And they should be. It's their right. But the groups that are starting the trouble, that's the issue. And now there's a new DA in Portland who is not prosecuting the rioters because of the "pent up emotions of the BLM protestors due to systematic racism".

I have to tell you if I was a property owner in Portland and my property had been damaged, I'd do as the businesses did in Seattle with that CHAZ/CHOP zone thing and file a class-action civil lawsuit in Federal Court - and not in the Ninth District either. It didn't take the mayor in Seattle long to resolve that CHOP thing when a group sued her for damages to their property.

Speaking of COVID news, did you see where 1/3 of the Big Ten athletes that tested for COVID have myocarditis.
Scary stuff...

Yep, you are right. The problem is that the wacko element from both ends of the spectrum are out in force. Very sad to see such division.

I see health care workers are very high up on the vaccine priority list MG. Will you be availing yourself of the magic elixir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back