Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Improvements for Campaign Turn 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we're on the subject of campaign games, has anyone come across the Vassal open source wargame engine? Looks like there is a great selection of wargames on there which have been converted to open source games which can be played via the internet. It looks like they could make for interesting bases for future operational level CM games:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Overview

While we're on the subject of campaign games, has anyone come across the Vassal open source wargame engine? Looks like there is a great selection of wargames on there which have been converted to open source games which can be played via the internet. It looks like they could make for interesting bases for future operational level CM games:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Overview

I'd never heard of this before, but just followed the link (thanks!) and had a quick look: interesting! Now bookmarked, I'll definitely go back and have a longer look at it.

Yep, Vassal is brilliant. Check out the The Battle for Normandy from GMT games. Brilliantly recreated. Quill18 on youtube runs Let's Play 'board game' videos with it if you want to see what it's capable of.

Some bad news guys. This bug in CMRT maybe a good thing at the moment because I've been called in to be part of a Government Tender Assessment Panel until Christmas. Still be around and on the boards but work will be hectic until the festive season so delays are inevitable. Will work behind the scenes when I can. (Even lost some Christmas leave because of this so trust me I'm not happy. :( )

Yep, Vassal is brilliant. Check out the The Battle for Normandy from GMT games. Brilliantly recreated. Quill18 on youtube runs Let's Play 'board game' videos with it if you want to see what it's capable of.

Some bad news guys. This bug in CMRT maybe a good thing at the moment because I've been called in to be part of a Government Tender Assessment Panel until Christmas. Still be around and on the boards but work will be hectic until the festive season so delays are inevitable. Will work behind the scenes when I can. (Even lost some Christmas leave because of this so trust me I'm not happy. :( )

Bah Humbug -- good luck, sounds serious!

No worries, we'll still probably be waiting for the BF update

Just going through the tour module on Vassal. This thing looks awesome and has great potential for Operational level CM games.

I think you could readily run an operational level campaign along these lines:

1. Allocate a CM map to each square of a Vassal campaign map. Allocate a CM btt file to each unit counter and update accordingly after battle/receipt of reinforcements (it looks like unit counters can be manipulated).

2. Make unit movements on the Vassal campaign map (if the Vassal games have a fog of war this would be a big plus).

3. Fight encounters out on CM maps allocated to particular campaign map squares.

BOOM! I'm excited.

Edit: Oh yes I think it does have FOW

@Ithikial thanks for the file, I was wondering where bootie got his campaign map from. Have you come across some nice and simple vassal games which could be easily used for CM?

Just going through the tour module on Vassal. This thing looks awesome and has great potential for Operational level CM games.

I think you could readily run an operational level campaign along these lines:

1. Allocate a CM map to each square of a Vassal campaign map. Allocate a CM btt file to each unit counter and update accordingly after battle/receipt of reinforcements (it looks like unit counters can be manipulated).

2. Make unit movements on the Vassal campaign map (if the Vassal games have a fog of war this would be a big plus).

3. Fight encounters out on CM maps allocated to particular campaign map squares.

BOOM! I'm excited.

Edit: Oh yes I think it does have FOW

Count me in!

@Odin , @Strachwitz - With the patch released are we progressing with the last few turns? ETA?

And I can't open the two existing save files after updating to the latest CMRT patch... going to be a bit hard to update the master map with destruction. Mmmm thoughts? Old saves still seem to be effected by the 26% bug.

Last edited:
As you may have notice in the according thread in the Musket room I am back in duty. Sorry for the long time I was AWOL. I already contacted Odin and we should get this done very quick!

Guys - check the updated excel OOB files in the dropboxes. Lots of 'guesstimates' unfortunately.
Given what's left I think it's no secret the Soviets have bulldozed through the front line.

I've passed some personal thoughts on where we're at to Odin. In short given all the technical trouble that unfortunately to my despair hasn't let up in the post-battle work either, I think this 'little' campaign is in trouble... thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back