Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Improvements for Campaign Turn 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably being a bit dim, but you might have to spell it out ("... all the technical trouble ...") a bit more for me ... :)

I get of course that we need the end positions of the first battles: and that is now a problem of sorts.

But I thought that, with the end screens etc that are available, and that @Strachwitz can (?) still open the files, we could get "near enough" to continue? Or is that not the case?

Are there more - or more specific - issues as well?

FWIW I'd love to continue, and am happy to accept your "GM" view of how the next round should be set up to start, if that allows us to move on.

@Ithikial here's my 2 pennies worth: If everyone accurately reflects their OOB's post battle I think the players can help out. Because we should be aware of what we're left with. Once we've told Ithikial our estimated post battle OOBs maybe he could just give the maps a once over to confirm the figures aren't way out. Hope this idea is of some use. You've given a lot to the cause and I'm happy to go with whatever you have time to do.

Just to continue the point, I think we've got an honest bunch of players so I would suggest more responsibility is passed to each team. Perhaps each player could update their respective unit OOBs at the end of the battle after they've confirmed their estimated casualty figures with Ithikial post battle.

I think this would save the GM a lot of time because when he comes fresh to the battlefield to look at the post battle AAR screen I think there is a lot of time involved in just getting his head around what is left on the battlefield. Whilst if a player has fought a battle through, he will already have a pretty good idea of which units suffered which casualties.

Likewise when engaging in a new battle each team could submit the OOBs for each battle, which are then confirmed by Ithkial. Again saving the GM the laborious task of sifting through the OOBs. He could then just combine the two OOBs and incoporporate them into the battlefield he has drawn up.

Guys last post was Sunday night from Odin (my time), it's now arvo Tuesday. Any comments at all on the OOB in the dropbox HQ? of final placements of forces after Round 1's battles?

Guys last post was Sunday night from Odin (my time), it's now arvo Tuesday. Any comments at all on the OOB in the dropbox HQ? of final placements of forces after Round 1's battles?

Sorry Chad, I've been working really hard on my own upcoming campaign. Will give it a look

To continue the fine thoughts Odin already had here is my proposal to sort things out.

1. The "team leaders" do the job of editing the OOB based upon the end files. There you can click through all the units and edit the OOBs (the OOB master files) accordingly. Delete destroyed vehicles and altering the infantry unit counts. There are many settings like Headcount to 50%, 60% and so on and whole squads can be deleted. This has not to bee 100% accurate. Just colse to. I trust all of you guys and so I see no problems there. Hopefully one of the Axis team can access old verison files.
2. We all have to agree on the starting postiions for the next turn.
3. New movements and battles are planned.
4. Ithikial will get the OOBs for the new battles from the "team leaders" accordingly to the new battles. So basically Ithikial will "just" have to load the OOBs for the battle (the master OOB file stripped down to us the formations taking part in the single battle. So the work load for Ithikial is reduced by a great amount and basically "just" the fortifiaction and artillery crater work has to be done.

I will now have a look at the files from Ithikial in the dropbox folder...

@Strachwitz I'm in agreement.

@Dutch Grenadier If you could send be your estimated casualty figures, eg X Company 30%, Y Company 40%, Marders destroyed etc, I can do the same for myself and DasTiger based on his AAR. I will update our OOB accordingly and check it in with Ithikial.

@Ithikial I'm happy to go with the starting positions you suggest for the next turn

The 10% headcount rule was my approach at being 'best guess.' Not really noticeable at 90% but you'll start to feel it around 60%. Anything below 50% you can't program into the scenario editor to begin with for the next battle so the rules state the unit has to be amalgamated with another formation. This get's a bit hard when their sister formations (ie 2 depleted companies from the same battalion) are on the opposite sides of the campaign map. :D I didn't expect this to occur early on working with Odin on the rules. I also didn't expect simple wholesale slaughters straight out of the gate - Ost front, should have guessed.

Any help is appreciated on the OOB. Will give me more time to work on the map ready for following turns. That's the easy bit. As I've mentioned to Odin privately a few days ago, I'm building a house in 2015 which all starts in Feb, (hence the rush at the moment), so if the end of campaign turn 2 is a repeat of campaign turn 1, I'm going to struggle time wise to be a GM in a few months time. I'm not quitting just being open on RL pressures coming up and don't want the existing efforts of everyone involved, especially Odin doing the initial drafting of the rules, to go to waste. I can't promise another member is ready to step into GM shoes if needed.

Of course RL always comes first @Ithikial. Maybe we manage to kick off Turn 2 before your house building project starts. And if the turn takes that long as tunr 1 maybe your house is completely ready when we finish playing the batte of turn 2 ;-). Joke aside, we will see how we proceed after we finish round 2. I guess we will find a way. But for now again a big thank you for GMing this campaign.

I had a look at the Russian OOB and I can see you put a lot of effort in it. One question: Is this the final OOB. I mean are all battle reflected already in the OOB?

I had a look at the Russian OOB and I can see you put a lot of effort in it. One question: Is this the final OOB. I mean are all battle reflected already in the OOB?

The the best of my ability but I can't open two of the three end game files due to the 26% bug. So the north and south battle is a lot of guess work from previous forum posts. Also destroyed vehicles and completely destroyed infantry units/teams don't show which parent unit they were from. So that made it a little difficult on the center map. :p

Maybe we manage to kick off Turn 2 before your house building project starts. And if the turn takes that long as tunr 1 maybe your house is completely ready when we finish playing the batte of turn 2 ;-)

LOL it wouldn't be far off!

On another note @Ithikial did you manage to find a way of combining two separate 'campaign unit' OOBs when creating the scenarios. When I've tried in the past, the first one to get imported gets deleted when I import the second.

Yes Strachwitz had the right idea. Import one of the campaign OOB into the other sides Campaign OOB. Then import that new 'combined' OOB into the scenario you are creating for the campaign.

The the best of my ability but I can't open two of the three end game files due to the 26% bug. So the north and south battle is a lot of guess work from previous forum posts. Also destroyed vehicles and completely destroyed infantry units/teams don't show which parent unit they were from. So that made it a little difficult on the center map. :p
I will have a final look at my and Odins battle and see if something is missing. Right now, I have a feeling that the the russian losses are to less. It felt quite desatrous during the fight. I give you an update latest tomorrow!

@Ithikial I've got confirmation of casualty figures. I'll send a PM to you that details how I propose to update. If you confirm the updates are ok I'll make the changes.

"Rubbling" down the master map is actually quite soothing and anger relaxing. Sorry real life, about to sign a massive home loan. Kind of poetic to destroy virtual houses...

Have the commanders got their master sheets of counters for the units? Pretty much up to the campaign map stage.

Guys going to need the counters for your remaining OOB. My skills with artwork is minimal so counters I can simply copy and paste onto the master campaign map would be grouse!

I can provide you with the counters I use for my Final Stand campaign?

Guys going to need the counters for your remaining OOB. My skills with artwork is minimal so counters I can simply copy and paste onto the master campaign map would be grouse!

Will do so! I think I manage to get that done until Wednesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back