Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?


One of the pyramids with 12.000 recovered German helmets in front of Grand Central Railroad Terminal, NY, 1919. A few short months after the end of the WW1, over Park Ave, the "Victory Way" was an art exhibit created by the U.S. government. Several captured German weapons line the street, including disabled artillery cannons, unloaded German rifles, and disabled grenades, all organized in orderly bunches. The main part of the exhibit, however, are the German helmets.


I wonder what they did with that afterwards.
On 2014 two photographs, of Gavrilo Princip (1894/1918) and the Austro-Hungarian archduke Franz Ferdinand, have been put on the facade of the Museum of City of Sarajevo for the 100th anniversary of Ferdinand’s assassination.
That area (Museum of Sarajevo, adjacent to the Latin Bridge) is located close to the spot where Gavrilo Princip shot and killed Franz Ferdinand and his pregnant wife Sophie on June 28, 1914.
I was surprised Princip wasn't immediately killed or sentenced to death so I looked it up....

“On Sunday 28 June 1914 during the royal couple's visit to Sarajevo, the then teenager Princip mortally wounded both Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie after firing a pistol into their convertible car that had unexpectedly stopped 5 feet (1.5 m) from him. Princip was arrested immediately and tried alongside twenty-four others, all Bosnians and thus Austro-Hungarian subjects. At his trial, Princip stated: "I am a Yugoslav nationalist, aiming for the unification of all Yugoslavs, and I do not care what form of state, but it must be free from Austria." Princip was spared the death penalty because of his age (19) and sentenced to twenty years in prison. He was imprisoned at the Terezín fortress. The Serbian government itself did not inspire the assassination but the Austrian Foreign Office and Army used the murders as an excuse for a preventive war which led directly to World War I.

Princip died on 28 April 1918 from tuberculosis exacerbated by poor prison conditions which had already caused the loss of his right arm.”

Fritz Kuhn (1896/1951) speaking to 20,000 attendees at 'Friends of New Germany' rally in New York's Madison Square Garden, on 1934.-

Kuhn was a German Nazi activist who served as elected leader of the German American Bund before WW2. He became a naturalized United States citizen in 1934, but his citizenship was cancelled in 1943 owing to his status a foreign agent of the Nazi government and he was deported in 1945.
This from a Wikipedia page....

Later life
Held in an internment camp at Dachau, awaiting trial before a Bavarian German denazification court, he escaped on February 4, 1948, but was recaptured on June 15 in the French zone town of Bernkastel, near Trier. He faced a sentence of ten years at hard labor, having been found guilty in his absence after a five-hour trial on April 20. The proceeding was "made conspicuous by the absence of not only Kuhn but also of his lawyer and witnesses. The trial was carried out entirely by the presentation of documents which purported to show that Kuhn had close ties with Hitler's Third German Reich and that he had tried to transplant its ideology into the United States." How Kuhn escaped has never been officially explained, although there was an investigation, and the camp director, Anton Zirngibl, was fired. Kuhn told reporters, 'The door was open so I went through.' Kuhn said on June 17 that he considered the ten-year sentence as a "major Nazi offender" unfair, and that he intended to appeal it.

Kuhn was released shortly before his death. While in prison, Kuhn reportedly sent a message to columnist Walter Winchell, who had helped lead media counterattacks against the Bund back in New York City. It read: "Tell Herr Vinchell, I will lift to piss on his grafe [sic]." (Winchell died in 1972).

Kuhn died on December 14, 1951, in Munich, Germany. The New York Times obituary said that he died "a poor and obscure chemist, unheralded and unsung".*

* "Fritz Kuhn Death in 1951 Revealed. Lawyer Says Former Leader of German-American Bund Succumbed in Munich". The New York Times. Associated Press. February 2, 1953. Retrieved 2008-07-20. Fritz Kuhn, once the arrogant, noisy leader of the pro-Hitler German-American Bund, died here more than a year ago – a poor and obscure chemist, unheralded and unsung.

Oh I got ya. What did he die of is what you're asking.
The best I can find is:
"He was freed in December 1950, and returned to Munich, where he died, not as the American Fuehrer, but as a sick and broken man, on December 14, 1951"
Further research.....

"Trial and execution
After the war, a written record of the contest found its way into the documents of the International Military Tribunal for the Far East. In 1947, the two soldiers were arrested by the U.S. Army and detained at Sugamo Prison. They were then extradited to China and tried by the Nanjing War Crimes Tribunal. On trial with the two men was Gunkichi Tanaka, a Japanese Army captain who personally killed over 300 Chinese POWs and civilians with his sword during the massacre. All three men were found guilty of atrocities committed during the Battle of Nanking and the subsequent massacre, and sentenced to death. On 28 January 1948, the three were executed by shooting at a selected spot in the mountains of the Yuhuatai District. Mukai and Noda were both 35 years old; Tanaka was 42."