Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Europa Universalis IV, a DAR

Nathangun

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
europauniversalisivlogo.png

Hi, this is my first attempt to build an empire in Europa Universalis IV. Enjoy :)

11 November 1444

I have picked Leinster, an independent Kingdom in Ireland. Led by King Donnchad MacMurough Kavanagh.

EUIV1_zpsbcfde8b0.jpg

The symbols of the Paper/Dove/Swords represent Admin/Diplomacy/Military Technology (or Tactics)

Each leader, General or Admiral will have different levels and these are different to the Goverments/National levels as well. It's a bit complicated lol. .

To my north east is the English controlled province of Meath, to the west is the province of Munster, these guys aren't to fond of me. North of them is the province of Connacht, and to the north is the province of Ulster (Tyrone).

My first objective is to improve relations with my neighbours and undermine their security at the same time. Also, to keep on good terms with both Scotland and England, two powerful countries (at least compared to my kingdom). England inceidently are at war with France, what was known as the 'Hundred Year War'. France has guaranteed Scotland’s independence.

In the 'Mission Tab' I select 'Improve Relations with Connacht' so I send one of my two diplomats there to fulfill that mission. My second diplomat is sent to Munster to fabricate claims on their territory as a future reason for going to war.

EUIV2_zpsb3a6138f.jpg

Here is the the stats on my rivals, we're pretty much even in all departments, give or take a few minor military/prestige points.

Click on image below for better view
EUIV3_zpsebacdc14.jpg~original

My next job is to improve my economy, as I don't have much of an economy, I will try to increase my influence in protecting my trade routes with my small but capable navy, this in turn will add some extra money into the governments coffers.

EUIV4_zps887645b4.jpg

Thats all for now, more updates soon.

Last edited:
Before I begin my next installment, I think I better give you all a overview of the known world (known to my nation).

The Ottoman Empire is in it's infancy. As mentioned already England and France are in the last decade or two of the 'Hundred Year War'. Denmark hold sway in Scandinavia, it's the senior partner of a union with Norway and Sweden, and is at war with Scotland.
There are many other wars and alliances but I won't mention them just yet as they don't have any significance to my aims of expansion, ..yet.

Remember to click on all the images to see the full size view.

EUIV5_zpsb3e04a59.jpg

Next is my armed forces.
My army is made up of 3 regiments of 'pike men', each regiment made up of a 1000 men.
My navy has 3 'Barque's' and a Cog. The Barque's are medium size warships while the Cog is a transport ship.
One of the fleets is lead by an experience Admiral, whose services I required for free.
The first fleet is protecting trade in the Bordeaux trade hub, the second fleet is protecting trade in the London trade hub. The third fleet, been a transport ship remains at port.

EUIV7_zps45575166.jpg

Below is a screenie of available army and naval units and their explanations.

EUIV8_zps9069f528.jpg~original

Now, back to making decisions.
As mentioned before, I am sending a diplomat to Connacht to improve relations, and another to fabricate claims on the territory of Munster. Both these missions will take nearly a year to play out I will have to bide my time.
I have the option of hiring advisers, these are quite expensive to hire (16 Ducats) and expensive to pay monthly (1- 4 Ducats depending on their skill), as my net income monthly is +0.18 Ducats and there’s only 50 Ducats in the government coffers I will forgo their services until I am in a position to afford them.
As it's still 11 of November, it's about time I un-pause the game and see how things turn out.

21 November 1444

Scotland has offered an Alliance !

EUIV9_zps1571d8c4.jpg~original

I have accepted, they might be useful in the future when I need to annex the province of Meath.

10 February 1445

Scotland offer a Royal Marriage !

EUIV10_zpse7def2ac.jpg~original

As my King doesn't have a heir, I think it's wise to start going about getting one.
My worry here is that it might lead to a war of succession in the future.

13 April 1445

Some interesting developments, it seems Scotland has been playing all sides in Ireland.
Connacht has also entered into a Alliance and Royal Marriage with Scotland.
Tyrone has entered into both a Alliance and Royal marriage with Munster, plus a Royal Marriage with England.
Munster have enter into an Alliance and Royal Marriages with both Tyrone and Scotland.

EUIV11_zps33907628.jpg~original

I think I better form an Alliance with England, has my diplomats are busy, I will have to wait until they are finished their jobs before I start trying to 'woo' England.

Just an note on Alliances, as I am allied with Scotland, but Scotland is also allied to Tyrone and Munster. If I attack Tyrone or Munster, Scotland declares war on me. It seems the attacker gets punished for breaking the peace.

21 July 1445

The Papal Conclave have elected a new pope. I don't fully understand the HRE (Holy Roman Empire) side of the game. From what I understand, if you have Cardinals that are willing to be 'sponsored' by you (or bribed) it increases your prestige. It can also gain you more power and allies if your fighting heretics or nations of other religions. It's a learning process, I 'll let you know as I go along. ;)

12 November 1445

Good news ! We have completed 'Conquest Casus Belli' against Munster. Now I can get my diplomat to woo the English.

EUIV12_zps034e4124.jpg~original

20 November 1445

My Navy, in their role of protecting the merchant fleet report that England's Normandy Kingdom (the provinces of Noramdie and Caux) is under attack and it's castles are under siege. I think they can hold out for quite a while, has there doesn't seem to be a blockade on the ports.

EUIV13_zpsd3309dde.jpg~original

7 December 1445

England has accepted my offer of an Alliance. Perfect !

EUIV14_zpsa4233cd1.jpg~original

14 December 1445

A opportunity has come to invest in a future Cardinal, my Papal influence.
I have opted in a 39 year old named Tellez-Giron, the youngest on the list. I figure it will take a lot of time for my nation to gain the required Papal influence to be considered a major player in the great game, this guy might be still alive. Plus he has the most votes so far.

EUIV15_zpsbb2935c9.jpg~original

24 December 1445

A new air to the throne, the succession is safe (for the moment).

EUIV16_zps75f53437.jpg~original

I also sent a diplomat to Tyrone to offer an alliance and they accepted. Huzzar !
I have enough alliances to cast my eye towards Munster, I need to provoke Munster into war somehow without me been seen as the aggressor. I have Casus Belli, but I don't want to have a coalition against me.
So I'm going to try and from a coalition against them before I go to war with them.

4 January 1446

Looks like a rebellion in a province in Whales.

EUIV17_zpsa8cefaad.jpg~original

England's Normandy provinces are still under siege.

14January 1446

The Welsh rebellion is crushed.

26 January 1446

An interesting event, an administrator has suggested to let people buy titles as a way to make more money, I rebuff the idea and gain +1 in stability.

I think I should now explain what 'Stability' is, currently my stability is at '0', with my rebuff it goes to +1. If it falls to '-3' there is a good chance of rebellion, as we had seen in Wales.

Below is a explanation of some of the icons on the UI.

EUIV18_zpsf72c6c6c.jpg~original

12 March 1446

I have sent a diplomat to fabricate claims on Connacht. It will take 365 days. I might as well start this process now with all the provinces in Ireland.
I also started to build a Barque ship (172 days to complete) to protect the trade routes, my economy isn't doing well and I don't yet have the necessary tech ideas to build a market place. Damn steep learning curve in this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: mTk
19 May 1446

Seems as if the 'War of the Roses' as just begun.

EUIV19_zps50cac3bc.jpg

29 July 1446

English rebel troops besiege Lancaster.

EUIV20_zps3b69a5ca.jpg

8 August 1446

WAR!

Munster declare war on Connacht, Tyrone as Munster's allies also declare war on Connacht.

EUIV21_zpsdcaf88cc.jpg~original

17 August 1446

A call to WAR !

Connacht is allied to Scotland, which in turn is allied with me (Leinster), and has called on my commitment to our treaty of alliance to fight in the war. This has been the chance I've been waiting for !
This also gives me an opportunity to raise 'war taxes' for much needed additional funds.
I order my fleet to blockade Munster ports.
Accepting the call to war also improves my relations with Connacht.

EUIV22_zps18caca82.jpg~original

22 August 1446

Munster and Connacht clash in the fields of Connacht so I send 2 regiments of infantry with the King leading his army, into Munster.

EUIV23_zps838cd5a6.jpg~original

As my last national mission was to improve relations with Connacht, I can now chose another, and 'Take Munster' is one of them. So I will take it !.
Scottish forces occupy Tyrone and begin a siege.

EUIV24_zps48a2f3a4.jpg~original

16 October 1446

Munster's forces break their siege of Connacht and defend Munster. I am enaged in my first land battle of the war.
I am out numbered by 5-2, with a regiment of Connacht's infantry brings the force ratio to 5-3, I send my remaining infantry regiment as reinforcements, they arrive a few days later.

EUIV25_zpsa8f0f736.jpg~original

Alas my reinforcements don't make the difference and after several weeks of fighting my army is routed, I suffer a -5 to my nations prestige. :(

EUIV26_zps3cf9e0cb.jpg~original

The only good new is that my fleet have managed a 100% blockade of Munster's ports.
I begin to train more infantry regiments (1).

25 December 1446

We have found an Munster agent trying to fabricate claim on Leinster, doing the devils work on the Lord's day. The heathens !
After licking their wounds Munster attack into Connacht again.

EUIV27_zps6e49a4c1.jpg

29 January 1447

An agent of Connacht has been found trying to fabricate a claim on Leinster.
Scottish troops swing the 2nd Battle of Connacht and harry Munster troops back to Munster. I send what troops I can spare into Munster again and share in the glory and any possible spoils.

23 February 1447

The 2nd siege of Munster begins.

That's all for now ;)

13 March 1447

We have gained 'Conquest Casus Belli' on Connacht.

EUIV28_zps46464163.jpg

27 May 1447

Elsewhere in Europe, England's 'war of the Roses' seems to be weakening their empire. Their Normandy provinces have been occupied by France and the towns are under siege.

EUIV29_zps159f5a7f.jpg~original

23 January 1448

The King becomes ill, and the nobles assume power until 28 January 1458.

EUIV31_zps863097b3.jpg~original

13 March 1448

VICTORY !

The siege of Munster is over. Having lasted 394 days.

EUIV32_zps1b41d70f.jpg~original

I have the choice to annex Munster, but I decide not. Even if it's my nations mission to do so. I instead offer the following peace terms to Munster.
1)Become a Vassal of Leinster.
2)Pay 50 Ducats in war costs. (Ducats are in game currency) (my national treasury is 24 and if I annexed Munster I wouldn't get the money)
I won't be able to annex Munster for another 10 years.

They accept. :)

Connacht and Scotland are still at war with Tyrone. Tyrone troops attack into Connacht and are repelled by Connacht-Scottish forces. Scottish troops besiege Tyrone.

I send my fleet back to protecting our trade routes.

12 November 1448

French troops land in Meath. This makes me very nervous.

EUIV33_zps49a26a07.jpg~original

22 October 1449

Scotland annexes Tyrone.

7 December 1449

French troops evacuate Meath. Maybe I should draw up war plans to invade and annex Meath.

27 January 1450

An offer of a Royal marriage with England, tempting. I accepted.

19 Stepember 1451

English rebels, the House of Lancaster ask for support in their war against the English crown. I rebuff the absurd idea and gain +10 prestige. Hope I didn't make a mistake.

EUIV34_zps321ee3e6.jpg

17 December 1451

Munster my Vassal, have offered a Royal Marriage, I accepted.
This action completes my 'Improve relations mission with Munster' (I abandoned the 'Take Munster' mission) and I gain +3 to my prestige. If I have a higher prestige with a nation I have a royal marriage with, I can claim the throne.

The next mission I selected is 'Insult Connacht" consider it done. :)
This takes a few days and I gain +5 prestige.

The next mission I select is 'Take Connacht', this will be tricky as Connacht is allied to both England & Scotland. If I attack I will have to fight all 3 of them.

Back to 'Prestige'.
Looking around the British Isles, I compare my prestige to that of the other nations.

Leinster (me) +21
England +5
Scotland +26
Connacht -3
Munster -5

More importantly, I have a military tech level of 4, while everyone has a tech level of 3 :)

1 June 1452

Both England and Scotland grant me military access in their lands if I need to move through them.

Thats all for tonight, I might not have another report ofr a few days. :(

Loved Crusader Kings 1 but never got my head around number 2. Really need to devote some more hours to it along with EUIV. There's just something special about a game where you can catch an STD and then spread it through a royal house. :p

2nd June 1452 - 6 July 1474

I reloaded the game a couple of time to see how a strategy worked out, the lesson I learned was to sit tight and pick my battles wisely.
Here's how Europe is looking at the moment.

EUIV35_zps1850a80f.jpg~original

26 January 1453

Our Admiral of the fleet dies, he is sorely missed.

EUIV37_zpsd93f37d0.jpg

6 July 1458

A glorious day for our nation, I have successfully annexed Munster.

EUIV38_zps53351669.jpg~original

For the next few years I try to build up my economy and my army and bring some stability to my realm.
Then on the 10 February 1464 the peace is shattered, France having 'Casus Belli' on a province in southern France that belongs to England, declare war on England. As England's ally I'm forced to join the war. Scotland as France's ally also joins. Many other nations are dragged into the war.

EUIV39_zps8d2e6360.jpg~original

I send my fleet to blockade Ulster and a army to besiege Ulster.
English forces quickly go on the offensive in Scotland.

Note England's impressive number of naval vessels in the screenie. England's navy kept the French from Ireland.
EUIV41_zps584a6575.jpg~original

The two sides of war
EUIV42_zps52e059e4.jpg~original

The province of Labourd for which this war started.
EUIV40_zpsf3582d6b.jpg~original

June 1466 - November 1469

The siege of Ulster ends and we now occupy Ulster, however Scotland makes a separate peace England after the English overrun most of Scotland. Scotland has to break its alliance with France and I have to return Ulster to Scotland.
Shortly afterwards England breaks it's alliance with me. I sue for peace with France and her allies then I take advantage of the situation and ship troops to Ulster and declare war with Scotland claiming the conquest of Ulster as my 'Casus Belli'.
Has you may see in the screenie below, Scotland is in no position to help, as it has to move troops through English lands, plus it doesn't have a navy.
In Connacht rebels rise against their masters and occupy the region, I was tempted to attack Connacht for myself but as it is still an English ally, I thought it was wise not to.

EUIV43_zps3c8111bc.jpg~original

17 January 1471

Scotland conceded defeat and my conquest of Ulster is complete. My new problem is that my Kingdom is split in two and I must find a way to conquer Connacht or Meath. Waiting for England to get into another war with the French will be to much to hope for. Making an alliance with either France and England will be now difficult, as they both see me as a nation with expansionist ideas. I will have to wait a decade to let these feelings subside. Time for a diplomatic offensive !

EUIV44_zpsf97e435e.jpg~original

6 July 1474
Here's how the map of Europe looks as I end my session.

EUIV45_zps46dc7d67.jpg~original

Last edited:
Nice to see - and good narrative - may well be added to a wish list...

7 July 1474 - 13 August 1513

My aim on conquering the island of Ireland will mean one thing, war with England. As Connacht is a ally of England, I will have to wait and bide my time a build up an economy. As England has a powerful navy (40 ships of war by my reckoning to my 3) and a massive land army (at least 40,000 men to my 7000).

So my aim is to save as much money as I can in order to build a strong army and navy to take on the English, and create as many alliances as possible.

But the struggle for survival continues, and part of that survival is military technology, my army is at the cutting edge and on 4 January 1477 have developed the “Limber” for our cannons, making them more maneuverable in battle.

1 March 1478

Little pop-ups like this happen in the game which add modifiers to taxes, army morale or national stability.

This one is to do with Trade.

EUIV46_zps8835514d.jpg

16 May 1478

A royal wedding between English and Irish royal families, will this keep the uneasy peace ?

EUIV47_zps5aff338b.jpg

1 September 1479

Economic ideas advancement, the nation gets a tax modifier of +10.0 %

EUIV48_zps0c2fe523.jpg

26 November 1479

Long live the king !

EUIV49_zps73442711.jpg

The nation begins a new era of prosperity and every once in a while our military, economy and prestige rise. Then on the 10 March 1486 the king becomes ill and a council of Nobles run the government.

EUIV50_zpsf3b36460.jpg

1 January 1491

My royal ties with Scotland have come to a end with the death of James Stuart II. The Scottish despise my nation so I'm unconcerned about this.

EUIV51_zps2134a3e0.jpg

11 December 1494

Huzzar ! A new heir to the throne.

EUIV52_zpsefb29ebb.jpg

21 December 1495

Excellent news, I have arranged an Alliance with France.

EUIV53_zpsb1cd7a8b.jpg

15 Febuary 1499

A interesting development, Connacht was declared no longer my rival. On further investigation it is revealed that it has become a Vassal of England.

EUIV54_zps849057ff.jpg

1 October 1499

As the nation dawns into a new century, a proposal of royal marriage with France is suggested and I accepted. This strengthens the bond between the two nations.

EUIV55_zps847b9fa8.jpg

2 July 1501

England annex Connacht !

EUIV56_zps8b7c120b.jpg

26 December 1510

France our only ally, have bestowed onto us a monthly subsidies of 1.99 Ducates for the next twenty years. This will double our income. Huzzar !

EUIV57_zpsf8e2e951.jpg

18 May 1513

A war breaks out in the northern Italy along Frances borders, France gets involved and I am committed to support France as their ally, I commit to the cause but don't send troops or money into the conflict as it is quite far and I'm sure the French forces there will get many victories.

EUIV58_zpsd986afe6.jpg~original

While the campaign was been fought in Italy, the English attack into the kingdoms of Brittany and Burgundy gaining several provinces by the end of August.

EUIV59_zps633605fd.jpg~original

That's all for now ;)
P.S. I omitted several 'military' 'economic' and 'Idea' advancements in my report. There was many and they would have been repetitive for the reader.

Last edited:
13 August 1513 - 15 January 1534

My mission to conquer Ireland is still my goal. I just have to bide my time, and on the 13 August 1516 the French declare war on England and but they don't ask for my assistance, so I watch and wait my chance.
EUIV60_zpsf7bf52ff.jpg

The English reinforce their French provinces...
EUIV61_zpsff22139a.jpg

....but are intercepted by the French navy, the English navy suffer a heavy defeat.
EUIV62_zps32853cbd.jpg~original

English troops besiege Scotland's last mainland province, soon Scotlands realm will only consist of the Western Isles.
EUIV63_zps5a0f202d.jpg~original

With the English navy suffering a heavy defeat, and her armies fighting the French I declare war on England and send troops into Connacht & Meath.
EUIV65_zps5f626f5a.jpg~original

In Southern France, Portugal, England's ally, are attacking into France.
EUIV64_zps7740434a.jpg~original

Victory !
On the 3 August 1522, England concede defeat and cede Connacht & Meath and pay 96 Ducats in reparations.
EUIV66_zps22e52dc4.jpg~original

With the glow of success, I start a building program to improve the infrastructure which will in turn produce more revenue. This takes a decade.
My next plan is to build a navy and try to conquer the new world the Spanish and Portuguese seem to have found.
EUIV68_zpsa447e9ce.jpg~original

This is how Europe is looking at the moment.
EUIV67_zps6d4d5d8d.jpg~original

Just a few things to note, my military is 15 years ahead of it's time. As I'm a small nation and my navy isn't powerful, at in turn, makes supplying any army overseas problematic. My only option is to attack and occupy an island in the mid Atlantic. Only 3 nations have such islands, Portugal, Spain and Norway (Iceland).
So my next fight will be overseas. I'm also toying with plans to invade and free Whales. Offer a protectorate to Scotland, maybe annex them in the future. All that while keeping the home island safe.

That's all for now.

Back