Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Europa Universalis IV, a DAR

I haven't had time to jump back in lately, been distracted by Skyrim, Pro Evolution soccer 14 and Batman Arkman Origins, all good games. Plus I've been doing alot of overtime lately, it been silly season n'all. I got a few days off over the christmas so hopefully I'll expand the kingdom then.

P.S. I like the new avatar pic ;)

I have to say that I have enjoyed EUIV immensely. It runs on my Surface tablet (as opposed to spotty behavior from CMx2) which means I can play when I am traveling for work.

March 1541 - January 1573

Now that silly season has come to an end I can now continue with my AAR. :)

After my successful war against Great Britain I decided to put more resources into 'Diplomacy' so I could get on the colonial 'gravy train'. This had it own risks, my military would suffer resources and would make me weak over time but it was time to plan ahead and lay foundations for a global trade empire.

Over the next decade the kingdom enjoys a peaceful and prosperous time as I continue research 'Exploration Ideas' which will be a long process.
The only trouble that is brewing comes from the Kingdom Brittany when in 13 May 1552 they issue a trade embargo.

EUIV93_zps33e43cfa.jpg~original

This doesn't faze me and I start to woo nations such as Spain and Portugal with their massive colonial territories and try to foothold in the America's. These efforts fail as these two nations closely guard their own interests.

August 1 1558

We have successfully annexed the Western Isles. Huzzar!

EUIV94_zpsdf72dcd2.jpg~original

December 1558

An explorer has made contact with an never before heard of nation called Japan. It is apparently an island nation on the other side of the great land mass of Asia. How the explorer didn't find find any other nation between Europe and there is not known. I send out a diplomat to set up relations between our two nations.

EUIV95_zpsa52ad308.jpg~original

2 November 1559

A powerful merchant shows gratitude to our nation for patrolling the seas and gives the nation 3 Carrack ships.

EUIV96_zps87b229f3.jpg~original

A call to arms.

16 June 1560

France as declared war on Great Britain attacking into the province of Artois, northern France.
France has called on our assistance. While I weighed up the pro's and con's I came to the realization that my military had eroded badly since 1541. All the armies of Europe where armed with musket while my army was still armed with the pike, the decision to pursue the 'Exploration Ideas' and the Diplomatic resources that it needed put my army in last place in the arms race. I had no other choice but to decline Frances request and dissolve the Alliance. I won't be able to give the military top priority in research and resources till 1565 :(

18 May 1561

The far off Kingdom of Japan requested my help in a war with the Ming dynasty. This I quickly accepted, not that it would bring any military glory as I would be unable send and supply a army but it would be an excuse to raise 'War Taxes' for extra income. This war end with the status quo intact, no winners.

EUIV97_zps66502702.jpg~original

In the autumn of 1561 I hired at a great expense an expert in foreign affairs which gave a shipping supply reach bonus of an extra 10%, the hiring of this expert made my economy tear at the seams, but this was only to be temporary. I was now in a position to set up colony in a far flung corner of the world. the only available unclaimed territory was Sierra Leone.

As you can see in the screenie below, the natives have a high aggressive value which might make it difficult to colonise.

EUIV98_zpsa9794fe3.jpg~original

1 May 1562

The first colonist set foot on African soil and begin the work of setting up a colony.

EUIV99_zpscd6956b1.jpg~original

Alas the project fails, the natives don't like the look of the new sun-burnt arrivals and set out to harass the colonists. The colonists flee the territory.

EUIV100_zps19739368.jpg~original

8 December 1564

It looks as if Great Britain's hold on mainland Europe is on it's last legs.

EUIV101_zpsa165b595.jpg~original

The next few years I try to build better relations with Great Britain. I will need their cooperation in future oversea exploits. I have my eyes on Iceland. In the meantime I try to modernise my army and fleet.

That's all for now, more soon.

January 1573 - January 1609 Part 1

I send a diplomat of to Great Britain to improve relations and send a fast ship to scout Iceland and two smaller islands of Faroarna and the Shetlands Islands, these were defenseless.
Will they defended while I gather my strength?

EUIV102_zps0d90d2c7.jpg~original

December 1575

The French are attacking on all fronts. In the aftermath Brittany and Lorraine become a Vassals of France and settles on a truce with Burgundy.

EUIV103_zps34178d29.jpg~original

The Irish War of Aggression.

November 1577 - March 1594

EUIV104_zps293eff08.jpg~original

After a quick look at the political map of Norway with several provinces under occupation I decided to launch my attack against Norway's territory in the North sea, despite my army lagging behind in technology.
I decision was hasty considering Russia is an ally of Norway but a quick look of the strength of the navies gave me an advantage.

I hads 8 heavy ships and 8 lightships.

EUIV105_zps2cd3f1bc.jpg~original

While my troops invaded Iceland and Faroarna and my navy patrolled the North Sea engaged Norwegian ships were sent out 'piece meal' and were easily beaten off. However, the Russians attacked south viva the ST Georges Channel with two weak fleets plus transport ships and tried to land troops Armor in northern France and on the east coast of Ireland. Both of these attacks, while taking me by surprise were beaten off while the troops were making their way onto the shore, none of them made it to the beaches.

Russian Cossacks attempt to land in Armor
EUIV106_zps263049b0.jpg~original

I then tried to blockade Norway's western coast. This I found difficult, my ships were far from friendly ports and were in need of supplies while Norway and Russia where sallying from home ports. I pulled my fleets back and put them patrolling the North Sea.
While these naval operations were ongoing, my armies besieged the garrisons of the Norwegian islands and one by one they all fell.

While the war was been fought, national research centres still carried on their diligent work and in January 1580 a new idea group was available for selection, I selected 'Maritime Ideas' as my navy will need to carry on it's upward trend in power.

EUIV107_zps28798678.jpg~original

On the 2nd of May 1587 Russia sued for a separate peace which I gladly accepted. Several weeks later, on the 28th Denmark sued for peace, I had no idea I was at war with them :confused:. I accepted.

The Norwegian navy was soundly beaten, for several years every operation they tried had failed to recapture their lost territory, then finally in March 1594 they conceded defeat.
The two provinces of Reykjavik and Akureyri in Iceland where conceded to me but I had to hand back Faraorna and the Shetland Islands, I didn't have a big enough 'War Score' to keep all the territory I captured.

EUIV108_zps03910909.jpg~original

During the war I noticed that France had colonised Sierra Leone, damn them. :mad:

EUIV109_zpsde0fb774.jpg~original

Last edited:
January 1573 - January 1609 Part 2

The Irish empire grows.

EUIV110_zps5094b115.jpg~original

During the war, I recruited a Explorer and packed him on a ship to explore the America's and find me uncolonised land, and on 27 of April 1589 on the east coast of the New World he found the province of Pore. I send out colonists to build a settlement.

EUIV111_zps358b9422.jpg~original

EUIV112_zps9d104b95.jpg~original

They encounter natives, I thought it wise to treat the natives friendly so I wouldn't be chased out like in Sierra Leone and send out diplomats to keep on friendly terms with the Spanish colonies to the south.

EUIV113_zps73808530.jpg

Meanwhile back in Europe, I had noticed the Spanish fighting Great Britain in several engagements both at sea and in southern England. When the fighting ended, the unexpected happened, on the 17th of April 1591 the rebirth of the Scottish nation. At first I greeted this news with glee, then I realised they had an aggressive attitude towards me.

EUIV114_zps08d7dac1.jpg~original

Also in April of that year, my infantry got muskets :)

EUIV115_zpsba6af74e.jpg~original

In Pore natives try to organise a uprising but the garrison quickly stamp it out.

EUIV116_zps5ee464dc.jpg

On the bright side the colony produce grain which will be good for trade.

EUIV117_zps401ca550.jpg

The province is now self sustaining with it's new town. I order the settlers north to a uncolonised province called Bogata.

EUIV125_zps7bb7e9b2.jpg~original

My policies regarding the navy are paying off.

EUIV118_zpse8029751.jpg

January 1573 - January 1609 Part 3

Two wars two fronts. 27 November 1595 - 2 Febuary 1606

Norway, thirsting for revenge, declare war. The reconquest of the lost territories of the last war as their 'Casus Belli'. As you can see in the screenie below, I have superior number in heavy ships which should win me naval superiority.

EUIV119_zps23386f90.jpg~original

As before, I sent my fleets to patrol the North Sea and successfully parried very Norwegian expeditionary force.

EUIV121_zpsb1eec50b.jpg~original

I invade the Farorana Islands again and by 26 February 1597 I control the entire island.

EUIV122_zps167bd669.jpg~original

On 14th of April 1597 the unexpected happened, Scotland declare war. The conquest of the Western Isles as their Casus Belli, joining as Scotland's ally was Great Britain.

EUIV123_zps72557858.jpg~original

This was troublesome as it stretched my navy and my army was very weak to the combined armies of Scotland and Great Britain, if I lost control of the Irish sea or the North Channel enemy forces could march across the straits, all this made victory very uncertain. Great Britain's naval strength was about 4 Heavy Ships 9 lightships. Scotland had no navy but a huge army.

My navy was fighting Norway and I had to build more ships which required taking out a total 18 bank loans during the duration of the war. Things didn't go smoothly, there were many naval battles numbering around 20+, some I lost but most I won. My navy had to defend on all sectors as well as patrolling the North Sea, defend against a British squadron in the Irish sea then intercept a Norwegian fleet heading towards Iceland.
British ships would be held up in port and strike out when my fleet were chasing other enemy squadrons.
In the screenie below, you can see the route a squadron had to take on it's patrols. While trying to keep the island of Ireland safe.

EUIV126_zps9d7289ab.jpg~original

In Ulster, volunteers sign up to defend the nation.

EUIV127_zpsf20e12ec.jpg~original

During this time I tried to get support from other European nations setting Royal Marriages with other nations, resulting with Royal Marriages with Spain and France. Alas I couldn't cement alliances with either nation as I was at war.

In the New World, troops from British colonies were attacking into Pore, Bagota hadn't been colonised at this stage.

EUIV130_zps16639dd5.jpg~original

Then on the 2nd August 1602 Norway concede defeat with me gaining the Farorana Islands.

EUIV131_zps2338dbf7.jpg~original

This cessation of hostilities frees up troops and naval units to reinforce my colonies in the new world were British colonial troops run rampant.

EUIV133_zpsc2954df9.jpg~original

I moved to hastily, taking the garrison from the Farorna Islands to send over to the New World encouraged the population into a rebellion. Remember to keep a garrison in a conquered province (of a different culture) until it has been made into a 'core' province.

EUIV135_zps0e870f63.jpg~original

Then at last, on the 9th of February 1606 Scotland agrees to a peace.

EUIV136_zps5c31e37c.jpg~original

After the war I arrange an alliance with Spain, who have vast territories in the New World. With this alliance my toe hold in the New World is safe for the time been.

it looks very interesting, do you have any add ons too?
and if so, what are the experiences with that?

I bought the game with multitude of add on's. For a start, there wouldn't be the new world and in some case's, depending on what country you're playing as additional units. I haven't seen units from the middle east or far yet, so there's a wealth of stuff I still have to encounter.
As this is still my first foray into EUIV, I can't tell you what the vanilla only game is like. The add on's do enrich the game. I hope this answers your question.

Yes, thanks a lot
Here is the offer from Amazon (Germany) : Die Conquest Collection beinhaltet zusätzlich alle bisherigen 17 DLCs! 54,99 €

that's the price via steam
but i found it also by ebay much cheaper;)

I haven't played this in while and after spending some time last night I remembered why I haven't played it, because it is addictive :eek:

February 1609 - January 1631

The woes of overseas expansion

With the rebellion on the Farorna Islands, I ponder the mistake I made while wishing I had the monies to raise a large infantry force to take back the island.
Here in the screenie below is the North Sea Trade Hub, with the capture of these islands I gained lots of trade power in the shipping lanes, hence more money for the government coffers.

2015-04-27_00002_zpsmdqth86n.jpg~original

Alas, the Farorna rebels demand a return to Norwegian sovereignty, not just for themselves but for Iceland as well. Has I'm able to raise an army without bankrupting the government I eventually cede to their demands and lose the power I had in the trade hub.

In order to raise vital funds for infrastructure I sell the province of Amror to France for 120 Ducats, which is more money I could raise in five years, and the same amount to buy two heavy ships.

2015-04-27_00001_zpso3tdpy1t.jpg~original

In the new world, natives raise up in rebellion but it is quickly squashed.

2015-04-27_00004_zps8tqxjpyn.jpg~original

As things quiet down in my colony, I look westward to claim Puerto Carreno.

2015-04-27_00005_zpsusue6ajz.jpg~original

In Pore, docks have been built which expands my shipping range in the region. I look southwards to an island that has partly colonised by the Spanish.
I have established good relations with the Spanish colonies, I might need their help if the English colonies decide to fleck their muscle.

2015-04-27_00009_zpswz7f5cib.jpg~original

After several years my colony grows as big as it could. In the north a Spanish colony rebels against their overlords and occupy the province. If it gains independence I will send in troops to capture it for myself. I will get requests from other Spanish colonies for military access, this I will ignore so I may strike against the rebels myself.

2015-04-27_00016_zpsmynuyplu.jpg~original

Nice little touches in-game.

One of the thing I like about this game is the random events which occur and makes you the gamer decide which route to take showing the outcome of each decision, here are a few.

2015-04-27_00006_zpsex3fvmkf.jpg~original

In world news

On mainland Europe the last of England's territories falls to France.

2015-04-27_00011_zpsv3vdscvr.jpg~original

By 1631 I have mended relations with Norway, but England and Scotland remain cold neighbours, and their military forces are getting bigger. This could be a problem in the future.
My Alliance with Spain(which includes a royal marriage) still holds and I haven't been drawn into any wars since 1606.
France are 'willing to trust Ireland somewhat' and I will try to get them onboard to form a coalition against England.

January 1631 - November 1681

After losing the North sea islands I turn my attention to updating my naval fleet.
England and Scotland are ahead of me militarily and they are quite hostile.
As wars are expensive business, I try to save some funds for future projects.
For the next three decades I keep Ireland out of wars and bide my time, while updating my fleet and building infrastructure in the colonies.

In 1657 Scotlands royal marriage with England as ended and as a result their alliance is dissolved.
As they are no longer partners I eye up the Scottish province of Ayrshire, here there is an iron ore mine. If I can capture this area Ireland will no longer need to import iron for our industry.

2015-04-28_00022_zps3jr3l4vh.jpg~original

I start making preparations for war. My military technology is now superior to Scotland's.
I take out huge amount of loans to raise a mercenary army. I have to take out a loan every month to pay back an older loan.

With an army in Ulster and the Western Isles I launch an invasion of Scotland.

The opening gambit is to block the naval port in Lothian, were the Scottish navy is based. The Scottish navy sallies out but is destroyed.

2015-04-28_00024_zpsjup3pbpy.jpg~original

Around this time my navy is becoming world class in it profession.

2015-04-28_00025_zpscemmnzpm.jpg~original

After several infantry battles, some I lost, the numerical superiority of numbers tells as my forces besiege every town and city in Scotland.

2015-04-28_00026_zps9gkxwdbg.jpg~original

By the 20 of August 1661 Scotland surrenders and is absorbed into the Irish kingdom.

2015-04-28_00028_zps3blp2y3y.jpg~original

A newly conquered country has to be garrisoned, and my land forces remain in Scotland to stamp out any thoughts of rebellion. One or two provinces pay low tax, just to pacify the population.
Takes almost fifteen years to make the provinces into 'core' provinces, as well as to convert the religion from protestant to catholic.

Around this time (I forgot to take a screenie of this) Ireland get a 'unconquerable bonus', meaning if England ever attacks and occupy an Irish province, locals will keep on rebelling until the English are driven out.
I think my lands in Scotland are safe from the English, as they need to be if I'm ever have to invade England, which is unlikely...or is it?

Last edited:
Back