Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Europa Universalis IV, a DAR

Europa Universalis IV is quite delightful. The Holy Roman Empire is separate from the Papal Conclave. You get elected HRE Emperor by either politically controlling or having good enough relations with the HRE Elector states, which are all in the German heartland. Nice AAR and off to a good start for Munster! :)

15 January 1534 - 3 March 1541

Earlier in the game, I decided the navy will be the strong arm of the nation and set the country on course of 'Naval ideas'.

EUIV69_zps7a622059.jpg

As I now control the island of Ireland, my thoughts turn to defending the island.
My first priority is to build up a navy. So I begin the slow process of saving cash and paying for ship building.
Luckily, the merchant class have rallied around and gave to the government 3 Carrack's (heavy ships) as a token of appreciation for keep the trade routes secure.

EUIV72_zps5af3c5fd.jpg~original

On the 8 August 1538, England becomes Great Britain. Will this become the mighty empire it once was?

EUIV70_zps8c381cac.jpg~original

But the transition doesn't go smoothly, in Whales there are uprisings but these don't last long.

EUIV71_zpscb11c572.jpg~original

After my gift of warships I go on diplomatic offensive and try to improve relations with Scotland and on the 28 October 1538 I 'Proclaim Guarantee' to Scotland's (or should I say the Western Isles) independence.
This move prompts Scotland to offer a Royal Marriage and I accept. Then by the 27th November 1538 a alliance is then formed and by the 9th February 1539, Scotland becomes a Vassal.

EUIV73_zps5467805a.jpg~original

This doesn't go unnoticed by Great Britain, and on the 9th April 1540 Great Britain declare war and the conquest of the Western Isles as their 'Casus Belli'.

EUIV74_zpsaddef714.jpg~original

Austria, Great Britain's ally, soon join in.
Several weeks later battle is joined and my navy take on a British squadron...

EUIV75_zps6f6698cd.jpg~original

....and win.

EUIV76_zps3f9c9a5f.jpg

17,000 British troops move into Highlands of Scotland, preparing to assault the Western Isles, but I have stationed a naval squadron there to keep invading armies at bay.
Note in the screenie below the red dotted line from the Highlands to the Western Isles, armies don't need naval transport to cross but a navy can still block them.

EUIV77_zps572bbe45.jpg~original

My navy have scored another victory against the British !

EUIV78_zps2a8ece25.jpg~original

17,000 stranded British troops in the Orkneys.

EUIV80_zps9e1ecebd.jpg~original

EUIV84_zpsd8ba873f.jpg

Last edited:
3rd March 1541 - 10 October 1551

Meanwhile, France have been playing their part and attacking British territory in northern France. They have also blockaded London with 32 warships trapping 19 warships, hence my easy naval victories.

EUIV81_zps91193b29.jpg~original

Another victory at sea, plus a captured ship.

EUIV82_zps58ae0d96.jpg~original

Austria, Britain's ally have been swarming through the French heartland. Austria are head of the Holy Roman Empire and quite powerful.

EUIV83_zps7760a43d.jpg~original

The French forces eventually defeat the Austrians and chase them from France.

With the British navy confined to port, I gave orders for a force to land and occupy the British province of Armor in northern Brittany, France. My troops land on the 17th June 1542.

EUIV85_zps6dd7ed27.jpg~original

The French chase the Austrians to the Alps, where a mighty clash of arms worthy of the history books is recorded.

EUIV86_zps60534615.jpg~original

Here's the same image with terrain on.

EUIV87_zps489c3e9c.jpg~original

The siege of Armor is over.

EUIV88_zps22af4098.jpg~original

On the 16th April 1546, almost six years to the day the war started, Great Britain concede defeat with the following terms.

EUIV89_zps76f23526.jpg

My expanded Kingdom.

EUIV90_zpsfeb1834f.jpg~original

A nation is born !

On the 18th March 1549, the kingdom of Leinster becomes the nation of Ireland.

EUIV91_zps990265a1.jpg~original

Just a note when starting the game. When I started I selected 'Random New World', not fully knowing the consequences.
The New World is looking, err well a bit new to me.

EUIV92_zps11ba9c4c.jpg~original

Last edited:
Congrats for the new nation! :)

I tryed myself but I have been wiped out by England...

Leinster, but in my game France was almost dead (my main allied) and I suffered an invasion by 15ish England's units, game over.

Now I want to start again with Tuscany :)

Same here, in fact I'd like to start with Savoy but maybe is too difficult for me, France as my neighbors can be a real pain, Austria is dangerous too.

Btw, the new expansion is out.

I just saw that Steam has Europa Universalis IV on sale for $9.99 (USD) for the next 24 hours. I couldn't resist picking it up, given this great AAR. @Nathangun, I wish you deserve a kick-back from the publishers.

Back