Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

World's Shortest Review: CMBN

OK everyone, time to stop feeding the Troll. From his on high position, I have seen him offer naught as an alternative, and a steady diet of anti BF-CM criticism. Makes me wonder what his real agenda is and who he is working for.

What don't you like about the interface Yoozername ?

The interface issues are many.

The 'camera' controls are very jumpy and the 'gain' needs to be toned down. I prefer the PCO camera controls on certain aspects.

The orders menus are just a pain to deal with. Again, for a Realtime game, its almost like it is intentionally hobbling the player. It reminds me of the layout of the 'QWERTY' keyboard. The layout actually comes from typewriters which were jamming if someone could type quickly. So the qwerty layout was made to intentionally slow up a human so that the mechanical parts had a chance. In any case, I am not alone in the criticism of this game 'feature'.

I could go on but that is enough to dissuade me from purchasing the game.

But to get back to my initial premise; CMBN has a sort of identity crisis. The realtime/turn-based 'options' is another example of this ID issue.

I play a lot of realtime and have never experienced any significant problems with the interface / controls. But thats just me.

Personally I dont see the realtime/turn-based option as being simptomatic of an identity crisis. It gives you options, not many games nowdays do that.

I know of quite a number of players that use the pbem functionality and still play realtime against human opponents or against the AI.

Can someone really play 'Busting the Bocage' Realtime?

I think it is an 'option', of course, but it is so much more than that. The whole nature of play is changed. C&C in WWII is supposedly being modeled in either option. But the Realtime aspect makes the play way too modern in my opinion. Personally I think the turn-based design suits WWII better.

I liken it to poker. If you play tournaments and also play cash-games, you are playing the same 'game'. But it really is a whole'nother ball of wax between these two styles of play.

OK everyone, time to stop feeding the Troll. From his on high position, I have seen him offer naught as an alternative, and a steady diet of anti BF-CM criticism. Makes me wonder what his real agenda is and who he is working for.

This is just trolling on your part. Maybe paranoia also.

As far as 'alternatives'. I would think that anyone that wants to do that can go talk to the designers over at BF. They welcome all ideas with open arms.

Criticism noted, as is the constant, but qualified, preference for PCO. However, as I look at the responses to your posts, I notice that you are a distinct minority of one. In fact, your criticism almost feels forced, as though there is another agenda behind the scenes. It's as if you have a horse in the race...

Your reference to paranoia, may or may not be accurate, though why I would be paranoid of a Troll posting is beyond me. I was just noticing that you only recently joined us, apparently didn't bother to introduce yourself or your interests, and evidenced by your very narrow range of posts, consider BFs CMBN worthless. So my suspecting a Troll or plant is not beyond the pale. With that in mind, I hope you won't be insulted or have your feelings hurt, if I consider your criticism of BF & CMBN without merit. Now your criticism of me, well Im a big boy, schooled by some pretty good critics while in Marine Corps boot camp, and can handle it, so go for it.

I notice you are the only one making leaps of faith regarding my 'agenda' and my supposed game choices. You are, again, trying too hard to make some conflict it seems.

you are the only one making leaps of faith regarding my 'agenda'

Yes, and I would be the first to tell you that it is all sheer speculation. As for conflict, as a combat vet I can assure you, this registers more at the level of nuisance than conflict. That is to say, Im more of a nuisance than anything else.

You know, guys, this thread keeps me smiling although I feel more like crying - or taking something apart. Please carry on! :biggrin1:

Hey Yoozername, i think what Facman is trying to say is that instead of just and only making critisism of sthing that the majority of the members here like(although most of us agree that there are many things to be improved) u could do sthing constructive for the community like joining a tourney or create a scenario or post a challenge or post some interetsting stuff concerning military history or upload ur favourite song or movie or just say a joke for us to smile or.. or.. or .....
BTW Care for a game?

I see,so Yoosername which is ur favourite game?
I m sure if you are as passionate about it as u are for CMBN we could
add it here,chief permitting,and with ur support write new pages of glory here in FGM

Back