RUSSIA 1942 Tourney Archive- for tactical study

Owl (German) and me have been feeding our tanks into this meatgrinder attrition battle for the flag for most of the game, and the carnage is appalling, X's mark wrecked tanks-
Owl-pzrs.gif

My PzIII encounters a nightmarish vision on the skyline- two of Gunner's KV-1's dominating the battlefield from their hilltop position-
GunnRus.gif

MIRROR RESULT JUST IN
Game 27 of 44, POS v Bootie
Winner POS, major vic
BootGer.gif

----------------------------------------------------

LEADER BOARD
(Only people whose mirror scores beat mine are shown on board)

1st- Mikey : score 42 (Drew first game 51-49, he got tac win second game 70-30)
2nd- Rico: score 38 (He got major win in first game 79-21, and suffered minor defeat in second game 40-60)
3rd- Johnsy and Ratzki: score 20 (Johnsy suffered minor defeat in first game 38-62, and got major win in second game 72-28)
(Ratzki got major win in first game 74-26, and suffered tac defeat in second game 36-64)
5th- Lord Bane: score 4 (Drew first game 55-45, Drew second game 47-53)

------------------------------------------------

The 13 out of 22 mirrors finished so far (in order of finishing)-
95Bravo
Wardog
Mikey
Rico
Nort
Lord Bane
Seel
Von Reich
Johnsy
Ratzki
Andre
Airborne Bob
Bootie

It's only turn 2 but already LRC's fast-moving Russians clash with my panzer group, and the forest road network erupts in a storm of tank gunfire..
LRCruss.gif

Changed's Germans make their late-game Big Push, firstly blinding my my big T-34 group with a smoke barrage (circled right), then advancing (blue arrows) against my defenceless garrisons..
ChangedAx.gif

Slick smoke screen.

You've got a respectable tally of victims so far POS, victory against you in this Tourney is proving to be a tough challenge, I know it was for me.

I find myself often checking in to this thread to see if I've been toppled, luckily not so far...

I'll hold off building a trophy case for a while yet.. ;-)

..You've got a respectable tally of victims so far POS...

That's only because 9 times out of 10 my opponents let my infantry get to the flags first.
It's been that way in all the years I've been playing CM, I just hit the 'Run' key to charge my infantry up to the flags while my oppos usually pussyfoot around at a slow walk, maybe they don't have a run key on their keyboard, I dunno..:)

That's only because 9 times out of 10 my opponents let my infantry get to the flags first.
It's been that way in all the years I've been playing CM, I just hit the 'Run' key to charge my infantry up to the flags while my oppos usually pussyfoot around at a slow walk, maybe they don't have a run key on their keyboard, I dunno..:)

In all my ME games with you (as far as i can recall) you got to the flags first, didn't stop me from kicking you straight back out of them though ;)

Yes, of course getting to the flags first doesn't guarantee victory, all I know is that it greatly increases the odds of winning.
Look at most of the endgame screenshots in this stunning thread and you'll see my boys in control of the flags most of the time because they got there first and were still there at the end..:)

LRC rode his Russian flame guy up to this flag at high speed in a Bren carrier, and despite the shock of seeing his transport blown up behind him, he calmly torches the wood and the Germans in it-

LRCflam.gif

In quite a few of the screen shots, it appears that many of the infantry squads are well back and did very lilttle if anything at all to POS' men. Infantry is where the game is won and lost. Get them in there and slug it out with the grunts. I know the tank on tank action is great, but you get way more nail biting done watching your soldiers duke it out. As long as the terrain is not too one sided, I like it when the enemy get to the flags first, at least you know where they are. And they usually become non-mobile, wich is good for the attacking player, anything that does not move and you know where it is can be dealt with if given enough time.

I like it when the enemy get to the flags first, at least you know where they are. And they usually become non-mobile, which is good for the attacking player, anything that does not move and you know where it is can be dealt with if given enough time.

Yes the biggest danger for static garrisons is that the enemy can dump artillery barrages on them and hurt them bad, but usually there'll still be some survivors after the barrage ends, and he'll have to send in his infantry to mop 'em up.
The trick of course is to use your armour to prevent his infantry getting in there..;)
As long as there's armour on the field, infantry movement is largely paralysed.
Here's an old post from the Tactics Section that illustrates it-

defence.jpg

CMscho2.jpg

CMscho3.jpg

Cargol's panzers almost break my line (sniffle).. (these things happen from time to time, I'm kewl)
Amazingly 7 of my beautiful T-34's were reduced to wrecks for the loss of only one confirmed panzer (X's), leaving the way for him to close in on the flags and a possible minor/tactical victory as the game goes into overtime.
Carg-Ger.gif

INDIV RESULT JUST IN
Game 28 of 46, POS v Changed
Winner POS, major vic
ChangedAxend.gif

MIRROR RESULT JUST IN
Game 30 of 46, POS v Changed
Draw
ChangedRussend.gif

LEADER BOARD
(Only people whose mirror scores beat mine are shown on board)

2nd- Rico: score 38 (He got major win in first game 79-21, and suffered minor defeat in second game 40-60)
3rd- Johnsy and Ratzki: score 20 (Johnsy suffered minor defeat in first game 38-62, and got major win in second game 72-28)
(Ratzki got major win in first game 74-26, and suffered tac defeat in second game 36-64)
5th- Lord Bane: score 4 (Drew first game 55-45, Drew second game 47-53)

The 14 out of 23 mirrors finished so far (in order of finishing)-
95Bravo
Wardog
Mikey
Rico
Nort
Lord Bane
Seel
Von Reich
Johnsy
Ratzki
Andre
Airborne Bob
Bootie
Changed

MIRROR RESULT JUST IN
Game 31 of 46, POS v Cargol
Draw
(Aargh I accidentally deleted the endgame screenshot, so this one from turn 20 will have to do unless I can find a backup. Cargol is German)
Carg-Ger.gif

LEADER BOARD
(Only people whose combined mirror scores beat mine are shown on board)

5th- Cargol: score 12 (Drew first game 52-48, Drew second game 54-46)
6th- Lord Bane: score 4 (Drew first game 55-45, Drew second game 47-53)

The 15 out of 23 mirrors finished so far (in order of finishing)-
95Bravo
Wardog
Mikey
Rico
Nort
Lord Bane
Seel
Von Reich
Johnsy
Ratzki
Andre
Airborne Bob
Bootie
Changed
Cargol

MIRROR RESULT JUST IN
Game 33 of 46, POS v Pauloondra
Winner Pauloondra, minor vic
PaulendAx.gif

LEADER BOARD
(Only people whose combined mirror scores beat mine are shown on board)
NEW LEADER!

1st- Pauloondra: score 78 (he got major win in first game 82-18, and he got minor win in second game 57-43)
2nd- Mikey : score 42 (Drew first game 51-49, he got tac win second game 70-30)
3rd- Rico: score 38 (He got major win in first game 79-21, and he suffered minor defeat in second game 40-60)
4th- Johnsy and Ratzki: score 20 (Johnsy suffered minor defeat in first game 38-62, and he got major win in second game 72-28)
(Ratzki got major win in first game 74-26, and he suffered tac defeat in second game 36-64)
6th- Cargol: score 12 (Drew first game 52-48, Drew second game 54-46)
7th- Lord Bane: score 4 (Drew first game 55-45, Drew second game 47-53)

The 16 out of 23 mirrors finished so far (in order of finishing)-
95Bravo
Wardog
Mikey
Rico
Nort
Lord Bane
Seel
Von Reich
Johnsy
Ratzki
Andre
Airborne Bob
Bootie
Changed
Cargol
Pauloondra

After wiping out my German armour (X'd), LRC's T-34's have given his Red Army infantry a free hand to gleefully spill out of the forest unopposed and go for the flag..
LRCRussB.gif

Back
Top Bottom